Best time of day to scout fields?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Best time of day to scout fields?

Postby duckwizard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey guys im completely new to hunting fields, Ive always been on the River or potholes off of it. Anyways my question to you guys is-- What is the best time of day to go out and scout fields?
The wicked flee when no man pursues.
duckwizard
hunter

Postby slakline » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:49 pm

Anytime I'm not hunting is a good time to scout... :biggrin:

However, for me, the best scouting has been right before dark when the birds head out for that final feeding session. Watch where they go, set up there the next morning and whack 'em.

:thumbsup:
slakline
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:08 pm

My birds tend to field hop alot, and are nearly patternable. Try and swing by and/or talk with the farmer about what's going on for the time period I'll be hunting. It's not good but usually holds true, when I see them in the evening, odds are I won't see squat in that field in the AM. But I can only talk about what's going on in my area.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:43 am

Cobra wrote:My birds tend to field hop alot, and are nearly patternable. Try and swing by and/or talk with the farmer about what's going on for the time period I'll be hunting. It's not good but usually holds true, when I see them in the evening, odds are I won't see squat in that field in the AM. But I can only talk about what's going on in my area.

Drive by the up johns plant......there everywhere. To bad you cant hunt it.

I hunt the same areas he does and he's right. I have fount that following the geese well help find the ducks in the field. Remember to to watch feeding habits. If there all flying around the field, chances are there isnt alot of food for them. If there pilled up and there not leaveing just landing to feed, it a good field and they'll be there for a few days. CORN CORN CORN. Anything else wont hold them very long.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting