new hunter

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

new hunter

Postby hunter54 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:23 pm

hey im new to duck hunting. this past season was my first. ive only taken one duck( a hen pintail). i have seen alot of ducks but cant get them to decoy. mostly woodies in the area some mallards and occasional pintail. :help: please i would appreciate any advice given
hunter54
hunter

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Do you have any more details. What type of field are you hunting and what have you been trying?
idduckhntr2
hunter

Postby hunter54 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:24 pm

mostly hunt flooded lowland with trees all around.
have a pasture on other side of trees and a river along side. set mallards out with a few geese, going to try to get a few wood duck decoys for next year. the ducks come in good, on a good morning we see around 50 ducks which is good for sc. but few come in range for even a chance at pass shooting. usually fly wide or high. do have a few that circle normally only kill three or four with four or more hunters spread out
hunter54
hunter

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 pm

I can't really help you out then. I've never hunted flooded timber, just corn and it sounds like you're doing everything right from what I know. If you are only seeing 50 ducks on a hunt maybe you're just not where they want to be. If that is quite a few ducks for where you hunt I guess just keep trying new things like mixing up your spread.
idduckhntr2
hunter

Postby QuackKillr13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:26 pm

You've got to move where the birds are. If they won't finish where your set up, pick up the dekes, stand back and watch where they're going, then make your move. Flooded timber is fun, but you've got to pack light, and be ready to move at any moment. Also make sure you've got movement in your spread. Anything from a simple jerk line to kicking your foot to stir up the water.
QuackKillr13
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting