Roboducks in the fields?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Roboducks in the fields?

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:58 am

Any of you ever use your spinning decoys in the field for hunting? How well does it work?
Roger
Newb

Spinning Ducks Work!

Postby RoboFan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:03 pm

They work very well, especially early in the season for the dumb ducks.
RoboFan

Postby Ada » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:37 pm

Goose decoys alone should bring them in....but I'm biased as I don't believe in spinners anyways.
Ada

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:16 pm

the spinners work! don't just buy one! i use 2 want a third but i use a homemade pole and have differnt levels and you don't even have to call alot of times they just come in and land other times the almost seem to try and land on them but i would highly advise buying one.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vanvo » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:15 pm

we use two robo ducks and they work great. we do a lil bit of calling but those ducks are just sucked in. there has been many time this year when we have been picking up decoys and we leave them spinning and those ducks come in and land with us walkin around.
vanvo
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:19 pm

It is so amazing just watching them circle right into those when they are in the field. That is one of the best feelings, it doesn't get much better. You should try it because it is a real magnet. :thumbsup: I could sit there all day and just watch them if they would circle all day. That would be awsome.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:25 pm

i have never used one in the feild but i have used them in water and they can be deadly.... don;t think it would be that differant
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vanvo » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:46 pm

we had three robos goin today and the ducks came in but we had three or four hundred geese in the air around the field but they wouldnt even think of gettin close. my advice would be have them goin when the ducks are near but when the geese r out turn em off
vanvo
hunter

Postby Kingfish » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:50 am

If you can, use more than one and vary the heights. We usually put at least one very close to the ground and usually don't use the full pole on the others. We take at least one section out. This seems to get them to finish a little better. We have used as many as 4 spinners and it does suck the ducks in but get them down when the geese are flying, they don't seem to like them at all.
IT'S THE HUNT - NOT THE HARVEST
Kingfish
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:12 am

they work better early, the ducks are learning though....
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:14 pm

I hunted with one of my dad's friends one time and he had out 5 mojos. All on poles varying in height from 3 feet to 10 feet. It looked awesome and we hardly had to do any calling. We had a group of about 50 mallards try and land on us but we busted em up. That was one of the best hunts I've been on.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:16 pm

Like quackkiller said its one of the best things.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby big ben » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:12 pm

When the northern flight of mallards got to our fields we just put a robo duck and 4 water decoys and we shot 43 ducks in 5 days . I loved listening to them circle the whistling of wings, the sound of 4 ducks falling and hitting the plowed corn ahhh filed hunting. We didn't have blinds we would just cover up in corn stalks right after he would plow the field.
big ben
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:20 pm

They work great there Bud we got to of 'em
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:41 pm

It's amazing for duck hunting!!!!!
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby cletus » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:42 am

We have noticed a couple of times that the geese dont like the spinners too much. We use one that uses the wind to move the wings. Sucks in the ducks big time, but the geese are a little harder to get in with it. We will eventually get a battery operated one with a remote and shut it off when the geese come in.
cletus
hunter

Postby ActionPoint » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:08 pm

I've had excellent results on both ducks and geese, in general that is. Motorized decoys are just like anything else. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. In my experience when they are working, they are amazing. A lot of times you can get by with just one of them. I shot over 30 ducks last season over just one Mojo, no other decoys at all. I experimented with using one in my goose spread for late season and found that it worked well for singles and pairs but it's effectiveness was drastically reduced on large flocks.
ActionPoint
Banned

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:56 pm

what works beeter then robo's is the Cabela's vorntex that spins two spinners in a 10 foot circle place that 5 feet infront of you and you will have biurds all over, last year I used 3 spinners and it worked great but this year it seems the local birds have figured me out but know I'm getting northern birds and they are decoying right in. but the more spining the better. It still works on the birs that are flying high in the fields but in water they seem to figured it out, try placing spinners under olive trees if you can it breaks up the spining and seems to work for me. also if you have remotes just shut then down when geese are flying they flare the spinners.

Jake
Jacob Hyer
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby crzyrpr » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:18 am

:thumbsup: I have not used them yet personally but was next to 4 guys who were in the pond near us and they shot there limits in about three hours they did not even once blow on there calls. We were blowin our buts off and they would not even look twice at us. So when we got home this weekend we jumped on line and ordered two hopefully this weekend will go as well as theres did. :getdown:
crzyrpr
Newb

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:56 am

:welcome: to DHC :smile:

Perhaps you are over calling to "educated" ducks?

Most hunters do not get it about how to "meat call".
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting