Flagging

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Flagging

Postby Mike Rossi » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:07 am

What is the best flagging routine and colors for ducks (and geese if anyone wants to comment on them).
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby Quackkills9 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:50 pm

I use a flagman flag for geese, you can find them in stores and they work really well for me when I try to get their attention and when coming towards to my spread and do little flicks to make it look like geese are moving a bit over or chasing off some others, and when they are circling I do a little flagging as well... IMO its the key to my success. Give it a try but for ducks, I'm not sure?
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:01 am

Basically all flagging or spinners do is get the birds attention, be it ducks or geese.

So is flagging for ducks viable? You bet. The problem is in finding a T flag for ducks. I do not think they make them-or at least I have not seen one for ducks. I would suggest buying a snow goose T flag and reshap it--so you cut off the black wing tips and than lightly spray paint to top with grey or light brown paint. Keep the bottom white though. The white part would face the ducks when flagging to get their attention. You would remick the duck landing-very similar to a goose landing with a full size t flag.

I would think this would be effective--especially in the no spinner states or if you do not want to hear the squeaky spinners that drive me crazy after a while, or if you happen to be more of a purist and just do not want to use a spinner. So flagging by hand is an option.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:11 am

Flagging for ducks is basically a spinner. On the water thats about the only way you can do it because your flag should be somewhere in your spread. In a field it works fine, because your in your decoys, but in the water, it just depends how your setup. A broomstick with a black pillowcase ziptied to it has killed lots of birds... :)
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby duckindude » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:38 pm

what is the best way to make a homemade flag for ducks and or geese?
can you tie a black garbage bag to a hockey stick and wave it when you see birds and stop when they get near?
--Tell em u can learn more in one day out in the field then they can teach u in a month at school-- the best and most true quote of all
duckindude
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:49 pm

duckindude~ i would use clothe (opinion) as i would think it would flap better and keep its shape better.
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:52 am

I personally would not use a garbage bag because it is shiny, and makes noise. A better option would be a synthetic material (dries guickly) like polyester rayon or similar. One side brown and one side creme or off white(bottom).
Come to think of it, I remember seeing a commercial duck falg being made, but I just do not remember who. But it was 2 color sided flag.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby big_countryks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:49 am

Never have done it, but I thought a t-shirt would make the perfect shape for a flag. I was thinking of geese so I would use a black tshirt and put some white on the tips, I suppose you could get a toddler-size white shirt and paint it all ducky.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting