What kind of camo grass to use for layout blind?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What kind of camo grass to use for layout blind?

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am

Im looking at getting some artificial camo grasses to zip tie onto my Finisher. I plan on leaving gaps on the blind to put bundles of natural vegetation ( natural to where im hunting) along with the artificial grass to get a good cover.

What should I be looking at, or should I only use the natural stuff? Ive been looking at the Avery Killer Weed camo grasses, but not quite sure.

Thanks
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: What kind of camo grass to use for layout blind?

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Obiously this is the goal. But after reading some reviews it seems like the color fades easily and doesnt stand up do rain or other weather. Anybody got opinions? BUMP
AveryKillerweedLayoutBlindKit.gif
AveryKillerweedLayoutBlindKit.gif (96.1 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby andrew_kirby » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:46 am

ive always used natural but this year im gonna do a majority cover with the fake stuff...you may have to buy several colors due to changing seasons and fields but use the natural to break up the artificial
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Natural grass and Rafia which I spray paint to match surrounding
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Champney » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:07 pm

I have used averys grass and it lasted three hunts before it turned to crap. my hunting partner found the best raffia out there that they now make in 4 camo patterns. We use the winter wheat and it works great. it's been three years and we still haven't taken it off some of the blinds and it looks like new. We had have geese walk next to are blinds in past hunts with it. We used a snap lock things so we could take the raffia on and off easy when hunting corn. The site is www.jstern.com and there really good at getting what you need. they will give you a sample of every color if you ask for free.
Champney
hunter

Postby andrew_kirby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 pm

good to know...is there anything else out there thats economical that holds up
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks Champney for the link. I checked it out, looks good. Might have to try it for my blind this year. What camo did you use??
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 am

Just finished dyeing and spray painting about 5 different colors of rfaia grass for different field rops.
I have two shades of yellow wheat some rustic grey grass some lemon green grass and some rafia in yellow and a bunch of brown dyed grass., also natural rafia .I will use these as initial covering nd finish off with naturals when the situation arises
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Champney » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:01 pm

when we were just getting it they only had a winter wheat that they were trying out so we got it. now they make like 4 or 5 different camo patterns but they haven't put them on there site. I got them in a sample I ordered and the samples come with prices too. depends what kind of field your hunting in. In Vt theres mostly all winter wheat or similar looking fields.
Champney
hunter

Postby dmurano » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:51 pm

champney, i just got some samples from jstern when you ordered were u able to get a mixed order of colors? they sell it by the pound or by the hank , how much do you need to cover 2-3 layouts? i think there minimun order is 25 pounds seem like a lot of grass
dmurano
hunter

Postby drakesdad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 am

WSUWESTON wrote:Natural grass and Rafia which I spray paint to match surrounding

I do pretty much the same, only I don't zip tie the grass to the blind. I zip tie to clothes pins and then I attach it to the blind. And add a little natural stuff.
"Yes man"- the liberal definition of a leader.
drakesdad
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:15 pm

I didn't do the ordering, my hunting partner did because they were his blinds so I don't know for sure. I know they sell it by the pound and you do have to buy 25 pounds. I'm ordering that this year for my 2 power hunters and I was told that should be plenty and have some extra. I would order the min and see how much it is and if it's alot of extra just sell it.
FYI it gets better looking over the seasons. We now have used it for 3 seasons and it blends into most any green field there is.
Champney
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting