Draw at Lake Odessa

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Draw at Lake Odessa

Postby Blocko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 am

I've heard lots of talk about no draw this year for A area at lake Odessa, is this true or are they still having the draw?

Thanks
Blocko
hunter

Postby duckdog » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:52 pm

Blocko, there a few other's that hunt Lake Odessa on here. There is a post in this forum from a while back about it, don't recall what it was about for sure though?
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

lake odessa

Postby Blocko » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:17 pm

There is a draw, very little water at odessa, tons of weeds. Hunted Saturday morning 49 in draw got #6. went to 15 shot 2 pintails one woodie and a canada (2 guys) lots of high shots all around us..... wouldn't recomend with big boat for a couple more weeks.
Blocko
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:14 pm

I heard they are trying to pass a law, so they can raise the water level at Lake Odessa so that recreational boat's can use it, any truth to it?
duckdog
hunter

Postby Blocko » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:21 pm

Yes, alot ot the cabin owners are wanting to make this a recreational lake instead of a waterfowl management area. Here is the link to the petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/Odessa/petition.html

As duck hunters we need to have as much waterfowl management as possible, please take a look at it and sign if you agree.

Tom Tandeski runs the site iowawaterfowler.com and does alot for duck hunters in the east side of the state, he started this petition.

check out his site.

Thanks, Steve
Blocko
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:43 pm

got my signature :thumbsup:
duckdog
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:40 pm

I, as well as other cabin owners that signed the petition, do NOT want the water level raised. Raising the water level on the lake would kill every piece of buck brush as well as not allow millet to grow. These are basically the only reasons we have stagging mallards as opposed to flight ducks. I bought a cabin on this lake for one purpose......duck hunting. If I wanted to water ski I would have bought a condo on Lake of the Ozarks. This lake has one claim to fame...and it isn't water skiing.

As for the no draw in the " A " area.......this seems to be as frequent a rumor as Richard Gere's affection for gerbils. I've heard the no draw rumor for the last 10 years. As sure as the sun sets in the west, there will be a daily draw in the A area and I will be the last pick in the draw on a daily basis.
whitefeather
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting