Visiting from NC

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Visiting from NC

Postby Treiben » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:50 pm

My son and I are coming to Wayne County to pheasant hunt and duck hunt next weekend for 5 days. Staying with my cousin who doesn't hunt. Any help on warefowl location to hunt would be appreciated. Last year I duck hunted Sedan Bottoms in Appanoose County, are there any duck there this year? We are willing to move to where ducks&geese are>

Thanks, Tom
Treiben

Don't shoot'em if you don't eat 'em!
Treiben
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:39 pm

Welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: . I am not for sure, where Wayne County even is (sorry). But we have been shooting duck's in the NW part of the state, and man is there pheasant's around, I have never seen this many rooties before, going to be a good year!!! Again welcome
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Treiben » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:36 pm

Duckdog - are there walkin areas on public lands or do I need a canoe or boat. Thinking of hunying public land in counties around Pocahontas.

Thanks, Treiben
Treiben

Treiben
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:11 pm

Trieben, If your coming to Pochahontas county, you should travel a little more north, and hunt Palo Alto, Clay, and Dickinson countie's. These offer alot more public ground, and much better for water fowl, pheasant number's will probaly be the same either place. If you decide to go a little farther north, try around the Okiboji (Iowa Great Lake's), or the Ruthven area's. There is plenty of small pothole's you can walk in to, if you pick up a Iowa Sportsmen's Atlas ( can get them at Wal-Mart) , it will show you all the public ground in every countie in Iowa. In my area around Ruthven there are alot of marshes, and lake's you can hunt with out a boat, just need a pair of wader's, and if your after canadian geese, be careful there is some goose refuge's in the area, that cover alot of ground, so you will have to know where they are (can get a map on Iowa DNR's website, I think). Beware this coming weekend will be like a ZOO, lot's of people shooting them rootie's, nice thing is they kick up lot's of duck's. To answer your first question about the only public spot's to hunt waterfowl in Pocahontas county that I know of is Sunken Grove Island, Little Clear Lake, and Rush Lake, again get the Iowa Sportsmen Atlas, it is a God send for out of state hunter's. Good luck where ever you go, and make sure you let us know how you did. Also if you got any more question's make sure to ask :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Hunting around Fort Dodge

Postby Treiben » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:07 pm

Drove up from NC last week. I hunted public lands around Fort Dodge last week. Got duck limit one day, four another day and 2 another day. All morning hunts. Wood ducks, teal(green and blue wing), mallards and shovelors. Saw a nice flock of specs two of the mornings, called but not much chance with no decoys. Thanks duckdog for general areas to look at. Actually went as far North as Ruthven(ate in a little diner there,met your mayor) but too many hunters up that way last week. I also got 15 pheasants.
Had a good time.

Treiben
Treiben

Treiben
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting