2012 Iowa Teal Only Season Questions

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

2012 Iowa Teal Only Season Questions

Postby feathhd » Sat May 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Here is a subject that I wish to obtain as much information on as I can for the 2012 Teal Study the USFWS is in the process of.

1.Would you as an Iowa Waterfowler Support having a Teal Only Season in the south zone or potential 3rd zone if we obtain one from the USFWS?
Yes or No explain your answer if you would.

2.Would a potential South Zone & 3rd zone Teal Only Season allow you better Opportunities than the Present 5 day early duck season? Yes or No Explain your answer please.

3.Would it be better to apply our split in a regular 60 day duck season structure than to burn it just to protect the early 5 day duck season structure in the south zone or potential 3rd zone? Yes or No explain your answer please.

4.Would a 15 day Teal Season in Early September provide you more opportunity than the present 5 day duck season in the south zone or potential 3rd zone? Yes or No explain your answer

Again I wish to thank everyone for taking the time to engage in this discussion and answer the said questions without making it a personal attack onto me because I dare ask said questions.
Again I thank you guys for your time and help.
Bill Smith
:help:
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Re: 2012 Iowa Teal Only Season Questions

Postby feathhd » Sat May 28, 2011 9:49 pm

1.Would you as an Iowa Waterfowler Support having a Teal Only Season in the south zone or potential 3rd zone if we obtain one from the USFWS?

Yes or No explain your answer if you would. Presently southern zone duck hunters do not have the same type of duck production habitat that equals that of it's Northern zone counter part. Thus other species harvested is marginal at best. In my opinion.

2.Would a potential South Zone & 3rd zone Teal Only Season allow you better Opportunities than the Present 5 day early duck season? Yes or No Explain your answer please. The early 5 day season we have in the south zone only allows us the opportunity to catch the tail end of a major teal migration and what other ducks we shoot such as wood ducks or other would still be here in the south zone upon regular season frame works.

3.Would it be better to apply our split in a regular 60 day duck season structure than to burn it just to protect the early 5 day duck season structure in the south zone or potential 3rd zone? Yes or No explain your answer please.
Right now as a south zone hunter I am forced to utilize my split just so we can obtain and utilize a 5 day early duck season. However when the regular portion of the season starts we are forced to hunt ducks in a week and a half period where thier absolutely very minimal new ducks arriving.

4.Would a 15 day Teal Season in Early September provide you more opportunity than the present 5 day duck season in the south zone or potential 3rd zone? Yes or No explain your answer
The 15 days of hunting teal in the peak of thier migration would provide much more opportunity than that that is presently provide in the 5 day early duck season just catching the tail end of one of the largest migrations in the country. Lets not forget that I would then be able to utilize my split in the course of the regular duck season structure and apply it in the lull period where we have very few new ducks arriving.

Those would be my answers to the questions.
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby hannibal » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 pm

A couple of things:

If you get a 15 day Teal Season you will be left with a 45 day regular ducks season unless the Mississippi flyway changes there position on how seasons are applied. For example Missouri can have a longer Teal season with no impact to the 60 day season.....this is dependent upon the teal forecasted number each years but for the last several they have benefited with a 15-16 day Teal Season. If I understand correctly the reason Iowa does not qualify is because it is a breeding state and considered part of the Prairie pothole region and can not qualify for the longer Teal season with no impact.

I do think that could or should be reconsidered because the only part of the State that really raises birds in North of I-80. Let the South of I-80 folks have a longer teal season. My experience is you either catch them on their migration or you don't and being locked into a set # of days in later September has not proven itself very effective for the Waterfowler south of I-80.

I can tell you that pressure on the Blue Wing teal will move them quickly. Can't hunt every piece of water from morning to night an expect there to be any birds around. That applies to not just Blue Wings but all species including Mallards. Really need to figure out how to better manage the areas and the associated pressure on the areas. I do know that in Missouri the Blue wings have been piled up there in early September and without the earlier start to their season down there would have missed them. That would suggest to me that Iowa really needs to move up the dates if the really want to give opportunities to hunters for the Blue wings. Keep in mind in Missouri and other states afforded the opportunity to pursue Teal that is the only bird you can take during the Teal season.....no Woodies, Mallards etc. or you will be leaving the marsh with a citation!

I would suggest you rally to get more dates for a Teal only season in the South of I-80 zone that does not affect the normal/regular season # of days. If they are going to take away days from the regular season then skip it! :hammer:
hannibal
hunter

Postby feathhd » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Hanibal you are correct in your position as to how we may appraoch the issue. 35 or 36 counties that are known to be duck production counties are all in the northern half of the state. However 66 counties in Iowa are not in the known PPJV region.

If we argue the case in 2012 we will use those facts as they are plus others and if we seek it, those days will NOT effect how many regular duck season days we get. It would be 60 days regular duck season and whatever the teal population will allow for early opportunity in Early September. Right now it is 15 days or 16 days lets say. Those days will not count as regular duck season days. This measure would only be applied to the south region of the state or to the 3rde zone option if Iowa is fiven that opportunity for another zone.

Feel free to e mail me anytime:

FHD101@AOL.COM
Bill Smith
712-253-0362
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby johneyupper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:33 pm

hmmm great debate i like that all great perfect truth or dare questions and the presenting and describing in a best way perfect thanks for sharing
johneyupper
Newb

Postby DuckNightmare » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

I didn't finish reading all the post's since they were so long, but I swear I seen you post one time that if we changed our season to a teal only season we would never get our early season back being able to shoot everything. I personally love the early season we have. I get to shoot tons of woodies, teal, and a mallard is just a treat. I actually think the early season we have is some of the best hunting out of the whole year and would never want to do away with it.
shhh...don't tell the warden
DuckNightmare
hunter

Postby DuckNightmare » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:38 pm

One thing I would like to see Iowa do for all the public land and this has nothing to do with this post. I just feel you are very good at coming up with ideas and getting them enforced. I think on all public ground that it should close down at noon. I really think it would improve hunting for people like me who only get to hunt public ground. To many people show up just to shoot the roost birds and chase them away. They need time to rest on the pulic land as well. Maybe they would not be so smart then to only show up in the dark and get out of there in the darkk.

In my opinion before we start to think about new season dates for shooting ducks, we need to start thinking of ways to get the major flights back to Iowa and hanging around. For example the only reason you want this extra teal season is becasue you feel you are missing the flight. I honestly don't think they really came through Iowa at all this year, not in like years past.

So in other words get the flights to come, then spend the time on picking the dates when to shoot the flights.
DuckNightmare
hunter

Postby DuckNightmare » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Also I have read before how you have suggested these new programs for farmers to enroll in for more wetlands and oppurtunities for hunters. I understand few have passed as well and are in effect today. I think this is great and exactly what we need. I just wish we could really increase programs like this or wildlife refuges with wet lands to make Iowa that much better.

Half the parks in iowa that allow public hunting for like deer, pheasants, and so forth all have water running through them. None though have any habitat for waterfowl, except for the little creek running through. Would it really cost that much to use some of the money set aside for programs like this to improve a few of these areas for waterfowl habitat. Maybe just flood a little piece of these parks?
DuckNightmare
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting