Hawkeye Huting Area

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Hawkeye Huting Area

Postby Mr. Pike » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Hey everyone,
Im sure that many people wont wanna say much to give up spots or anything. But i just moved to the area and have been checking out the Hawkeye hunting area by Iowa city/ Ceder Rapids area. Just wanted to know how crowded this place gets on the weekends, and if most of the people who hunt it use boats or walk in. Any information would be helpful. I also have been looking at the the regulations online, and i want to make sure that you can pretty much just walk into any of the river and ponds on the property throw out some deeks and hunt? Just seeing if any one can help me out.
Mr. Pike
hunter

Re: Hawkeye Huting Area

Postby cubsfan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 pm

there are plenty of walk-in opportunities. most people will be out in boats and it is a zoo on the weekends. also, remember, there is a refuge on that property so look out for the signs.
gun control is a steady hand.
cubsfan
hunter

Re: Hawkeye Huting Area

Postby Labs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:16 am

It's also very dependent on how the Corps of Engineers has managed the water levels over the summer. The last couple of years they kept the water high, then they drain it this time of year, so you don't have any cover to sit in, and you have to walk through 8" of mud to get to the waters edge....scout it first prior to hunting. Also look for smaller pot holes in the area...they are around....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting