Dry in North Central Iowa

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Dry in North Central Iowa

Postby Randy Johnson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 pm

I'm visiting my mom in the Clear Lake area for a week. I've notice most of ponds I hunted as a kid seem to be dried up now. I hope things change so you all can have better season.
Randy Johnson
hunter

Re: Dry in North Central Iowa

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 pm

I tell ya, right now we are screwed for ducks. We have no water what so ever, all the ducks will just move right through Iowa without stopping. None of the sloughs, ponds, or marshes have water.. and most of the rivers are too low to hunt.
BBK
hunter

Postby mr89ia » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:02 pm

ya, bbk isnt kidding. i was home two weekends ago and went to 7 new marshes to scout in NC and NW iowa.... 5 of them were dry. too bad, they looked like great little marshes when there is water there...
mr89ia
hunter

Postby DuckNightmare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Yeah and you would have thought like the big rivers like the mississippi would be fantastic then becasue it is the only water around, but nope. It has been horrible for past three weeks. Finally got word now that this past wensday there was some movement so I'll have to go check it out tomorrow. Thing is people may have shot a few, but did they see alot? Could have been just luck.

Even the mississippi is down as low as I have ever seen it. Alot of small backwaters have no water in them. It is really just the main sloughs and the channel. There is not even a spot with flooded timber or anything!

Fishing has been really messed up on the river due to this. You can actually see the wing dams sticking out of the water in some spots!
shhh...don't tell the warden
DuckNightmare
hunter

Postby Randy Johnson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 pm

DuckNightmare

Do you see many Canvasbacks on the river during normal years? I've hunted Ruff Grouse in NE Iowa years ago. It is pretty country.
Randy Johnson
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:23 pm

we get a ton of cans during late december, early jan. Pool 14/15
BBK
hunter

Postby Randy Johnson » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 am

Got back home tonight. My wife had 12 inches of snow waiting for me. :sad:

Good luck with the rest of your season.
Randy Johnson