Fishing is coming

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Fishing is coming

Postby duckdog » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:50 pm

It is time to start wetting the lines again. The ice is coming off(in my area anyhow), and soon the walleyes, and northerns will be on there pre spawn bite, probaly already are in southeren Iowa.

Can't wait to start catching them, then soon after the flooded rivers tame down it will be time to go after the catfish. Hopefully a couple of trips to the Minnesota River will be in the schedule this year for some hog flatheads. Maybe this year will be the one for me to break the 30 lbs mark. Everybody else in my group that goe's are over the 40lbs mark.

Whats everyone's favorite gamefish, or roughfish to chase around while we wait for the shooting of the fall to begin. Mine would be as follows.

1. Walleye
2. Catfish
3. Northeren
4. Panfish
5. CARP!!! ( You can't beat the excitment of battling monster carp on light tackle)
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:11 pm

Sat on a cold rock for two hours wensday night, caught one walleye about 8 inches long on my first cast, thought that I might get into them. No such luck, just had casting practice till midnight :laughing:
duckdog
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:52 am

My choice is #1, #1, and #1

*****Take a kid hunting, They will remember for life******
waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:59 pm

[imImageg]Biggest one to date, 10 lbs, 8 oz. I think that is thew right wieght been qutie sometime since I caught it, think it was in 94. Ah the life of staying out till 3:00 in the morning fishing.. Now with a wife and four kids, I'm lucky to make it till midnight, something about the oldest boy gets really crabby for mom, if he stays out that late fishing :laughing: . [/img]
duckdog
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:36 am

Nice one there duckdog :salude: Let me quess, Miss. River eye?
waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:38 pm

Nope, Lost Island Lake, about a 1300 acre lake outside of town. Caught that one, and a 8lbs 13 0z eye out of there to. Aint it crazy been all over the midwest, and canada fishing and the biggest northeren, ans walleye I have caught came within five miles of my house.. The picture was taken about three in the morning. Caught two 5 lbs eyes that night also, they were sitting in front of a canal gorging them selves on little bullheads. Caught em all on a floating jig head, and a crawler. Had to fight off about a million little bullheads in between eyes.

By the way waterfowler, nice fish in the pic!!!
duckdog
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:01 am

duckdog, tell me more about this lake :thumbsup: Might run up and over this weekend to fish it. What is the depth, motor limit, any good fishing in it lately? I fish Clear lake alot, but to many jet ski's and pleasure boaters.

Kraig
waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Not a bad lake to fish in the spring, and fall. Seems to be a dead sea during the summer. The deepest point is 17', and there is not much for stucture, except for shallow rocky shorelines. I definitley have my best luck from shore, rarely do I fish there out of a boat, and plenty of public ground to cast at.Summer there is alot of boats, but spring, and fall no pleasure boaters.

If you goto Clear Lake, have you ever tried Five Island at Emmetsburg. They have just recently dredged it, and now has 20' to 25' of water, and alot of drop offs. Definitley a boat lake. There is alot of walleye in there, I just don't fish it enough to know the hot spots yet.
duckdog
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:45 am

I was looking at Five Island also. How long ago did they dredge it? I'll have to look at my 2006 Navionics card and check the lake out on my depthfinder. Wife kind wants to run up to W. Okoboji and give it a try, but I'll beat it will have akot of boaters this weekend. Suppose to be partly cloudy saturday with a front coming in with rain on sunday. Maybe a good fishing day saturday :cool:
waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:09 pm

been dredged within the last 5 - 10 years, I have been working up to okiboji the last couple weeks, and the boat traffic is crazy!!!
duckdog
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting