4 All South Zone Waterfowlers

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

4 All South Zone Waterfowlers

Postby feathhd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:42 pm

For all the South Zone Hunters. If you guys seriously wish for a Teal Only Season in the south zone you better start sending out your request for such action to our Director of IDNR Fish & Wildlife & Our state Waterfowl Biologist. This action will let them know how serious you guys are about the subject and that you would like for them to take up the issue with the USFWS.

Please understand that if you do wish for a Teal Only season you will loose the early 5 day duck season option forever, never to get it again. I am asking that you send your letters to the above mentioned because they will need your support to pursue it any further.

I know I support the move and have taken Action already. The rest is now up to you guys.

You might here that the subject isn't up for discussion until 2013 at the earliest but the initial study itself was to be done by 2012 and discussion by 2012. However the data may take a little longer to compile. The other Key issue to the matter is the USFWS left Iowa out of the discussion. This is UNEXCEPTABLE and if we are going to interject ourselves so that we may have our concerns presented, we Will have to lean hard and often on the subject with our leadership.

Just thought I would let you know that.

God Bless guys and I hope you all have a very good Christmas and a safe New Year!

Bill
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Re: 4 All South Zone Waterfowlers

Postby BBK » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 pm

HELL NO! Why would I want 10 days of hunting taken off the end of our season (the only 10 days we actually have ducks around) to shoot a couple birds in 90 degree weather? I dont even start hunting until nov because its always so darn hot, why do we need to go out when its 90 just for a couple 8oz birds.
BBK
hunter

Postby feathhd » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:07 am

HELL NO! Why would I want 10 days of hunting taken off the end of our season (the only 10 days we actually have ducks around) to shoot a couple birds in 90 degree weather? I dont even start hunting until nov because its always so darn hot, why do we need to go out when its 90 just for a couple 8oz birds.

NO, NO NO NO brother.

Lets see if I can get this right for you.

If we get rid of the 5 day early season in the south zone as we know it, we dont loose 10 days of the regular season.
In fact it is the opposite. You pick up the present 5 days and can use them for your regular duck season plus put your split in there where it is needed to get rid of the lull period.

However what is being said here is giving the early season duck hunters 15 days in early september to hunt teal when they are here in bigger numbers and during the peak migration period. Those 15 days of teal hunting do not count towards your regular duck season. This would replace the 5 days we do get as early opportunity and allow us the ability to put those 5 days in a regular duck season where hunting all ducks is more beneficial to all. Right now how it works out is we are forced to use 5 days of our regular season to mainly shoot Teal and wood ducks and we loose 5 days of our regular duck season structure for it.

What is being suggested gives us those 5 days to apply to our regular duck season and the teal only season gives 15 days early to early season duck hunters. In all we pick up 15 days of early and a normal 60 day season with a split. That equals 75 days of duck hunting where as we present get 60 and we waste our split for just a shot at the tail end of a teal migration.

Any issues with what I just said , just call me and I will explain.
You took it all wrong brother.
Bill
712-253-0362 c
712-274-3343 h
FHD101@AOL.COM
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby werp16 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 pm

There goes all my woodies... :no:
werp16
hunter

Postby feathhd » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:07 am

It is my understanding brother that you are in the present north zone is this correct? Refrencing your comment about wood ducks and your location as listed under your profile?
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 am

Screw the teal, I'd rather have the split so I can shoot woodies and then mallards later. By the 2nd season opener most of the woodies are gone from my spot in muscatine county. There is no way the USFW would allow us to have 15 extra days for a teal season when Iowa doesnt even breed many teal to begin with.

The only thing I want changed in the season dates is early goose to run with early duck so I can shoot the geese as they fly over the woody pond.
BBK
hunter

Postby werp16 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

feathhd wrote:It is my understanding brother that you are in the present north zone is this correct? Refrencing your comment about wood ducks and your location as listed under your profile?

I'm in the north zone but I hunt the south zone.
werp16
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting