Whats your thoughts on Teal Season ISSUE

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Whats your thoughts on Teal Season ISSUE

Postby feathhd » Fri May 11, 2012 7:31 pm

2013 will be another year to advance Iowa Duck Hunting Opportunities with the USFWS taking on the discussion of providing possible opportunities for Northern states to have some Teal Only Season hunting options. All members are Encouraged to provide input to the possibility and I would like to provide you all with a hypothetical case to think about and to comment on.

This would be based on a 15 day Teal Season option and what it would look like under present proposed duck season dates. This stuff is Hypothetical for a potential 2013 season. What are your guys thoughts on it? Should we pursue it and take advanatge of it? Remember we would go from hunting ducks 60 days and done to 75 as the teal only season days are not counted as regular duck season structure days.

Our present duck season structure proposal is this :
Sept. 22 – 26
Oct. 27 – Dec. 20
Oct. 20 – 21 Youth Season

Hypothetical suggestion if USFWS allows northern states the opportunity for some teal season opportunities. What would be your thoughts to the dates of the regular duck season structure and where would you place the split?

Teal season dates are typically what the USFWS has gone with over the past years based on liberal season frame works and populations. Below is a suggestion if the opportunity presents itself and we are looking for your thoughts / ideas / suggestions as to how you would structure the season based on the inclusion of a 15 day teal season option and the ability to place your split to take out duck poor days!

Presently we as a state based on liberal seasons have had 60 days to hunt ducks in Iowa. Under the potential of a Teal season Option we can obtain an additional 15 days totaling 75 days of duck hunting opportunity. Notice in the dates below in the regular Duck season structure, said dates open and close on the week-ends and the youth season is a week earlier to allow the waters to settle down before said Regular Duck season opener.

Mo. River Zone Hypothetical Duck season structure with a 15 day Teal Season as an Option / Choice

Sept 4 - 18 Teal Only duck season
Regular Duck season dates ( Hypothetical Suggestion )
Oct 19 - 27
Split
Nov 9 - Dec 29
Oct. 12 – 13 Youth Season

2nd Hypothetical season structure with the use of a Teal Only season for 2013. Again folks remember this is just hypothetical and nothing more and is based on IF the USFWS gives Iowa the ability to use a Teal Only season as an option / choice.

2nd modification below

Mo. River Zone Hypothetical Duck season structure with a 15 day Teal Season as an Option / Choice

Sept 4 - 18 Teal Only duck season

Regular Duck season dates ( Hypothetical Suggestion )
Oct 19 - 27
Split
Nov 2 - Dec 22
Oct. 12 – 13 Youth Season

That split would be placed during the week M to F open back up on a Saturday Nov 2 and close on December 22 the Sunday

All open dates for the regular season start on a Sat and all end dates end on a Sunday.
This with the use of the teal season structure is a means to put 5 of the 7 early season days in October and not detract anything from the purpose of a 3rd zone later structure and pick up 15 additional days to hunt Teal when they are here in the basin in peak numbers.

This year has certainly been a tuff struggle but as always continued commitment and support proves again, if WE stand together , there isn't nothing that can't be done. How would you lay it out if you had the option?

Sincerely,
William J. Smith

Shoot me an e mail with your thoughts , opinions, ideas to the above> :beer:
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Re: Whats your thoughts on Teal Season ISSUE

Postby MossyMallard12 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 am

I like the Sept 4-18 Teal only season it would allow someone like me to go duck hunting before all of my football games start.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby feathhd » Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 pm

We shall do our best to help you get that chance. However to stay in touch with issues even as a young man, send me your e mail address and I will put you on our e-mailing list so that you get updates and info.

Bill Smith
fhd101@aol.com

The above applies to anyone wanting to stay in the loop and engaged in the issues.
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby werp16 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm

December 22 is pretty late...(for at least where I hunt) but other than that i'd call her good.
werp16
hunter

Postby feathhd » Wed May 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks WERP :thumbsup:
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:56 pm

I dont know, where I live I saw ducks and geese in January and our season ended December 15, my opinion is the later the better, but opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby Goosehunterdog » Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 am

I personally am not for a teal only season but like anything else would adapt. A good percentage of our wood ducks are shot in the early 5 day along with many other species. I think Iowa is the only state that has the 5 day and I would like to keep it the way that it is. Just my 2 cents worth for what it is worth.
Happy Training!!!!
Goosehunterdog
DHC Sponsor

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting