Maybe still some hope for this year

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Maybe still some hope for this year

Postby werp16 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:10 pm

werp16
hunter

Re: Maybe still some hope for this year

Postby feathhd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 pm

I think a big factor to the big numbers is that most didnt even leave the state of SD or ND last year until late december and most didnt even have to travel to the wintering grounds like they would have if it was colder. The last day of Goose hunting in the south zone I was in shorts and no shirt! Hell, I seen big flocks of geese early headed back north before the season was even over!

A lot of ducks simply didnt make the wintering grounds track like they would have and when they did, most of those southern basin states seasons was OVER!

Thats my opinion. Something like this happend back in the mid to late 90's when we had a very mild winter.
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby werp16 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Your explanation makes since to me. Lets all hope for some nice cold fronts this fall and we'll hopefully get the duck numbers we were supposed to get last year.
werp16
hunter

Postby feathhd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 pm

It is a guess but based on the conditions of the Dakotas and the loss of CRP / habitat, folks will soon see why 2 million birds is the difference between Liberal & Moderate! Not this year but I would lean on that for 2013 if the conditions and weather paterns hold the same.
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting