Who's Getting The Itch !!!!

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Who's Getting The Itch !!!!

Postby waterfowler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:11 am

I'm getting the itch to do some waterfowling. Just bought a new Browning Gold 3 1/2". Know I have to go out and shoot some clays. Geese have been on the move here. :getdown: I hunt the same fields for geese year after year, don't have to do any scouting because they hit the same fields year after year (mine) :toofunny: I will keep you guys updated on Sweets, since I only live about 2 miles from it. If you have any questions on Sweets Marsh, just shoot me a PM.
*****Take a kid hunting, They will remember for life******
waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:02 pm

Man I can't wait, the geese up here have been starting to move also, just not near as many this year. Still can't wait to bust em!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:52 pm

I sure cant wait. The geese are moving at nite pretty good.. I hunt big marsh for ducks but I may try Sweets. Have been there once and only saw a couple ducks
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:52 pm

The last couple years, it seems we haven't been getting the big flocks of mallards like we used to. Don't know why, always used to know when the northern mallards were here. They always would hit one field to feed in year after year just out of town. You know, when you look out and just see like big whirl wind funnels circling over a field like a big tornado. I don't know if their migration pattern has changed. I know alot of wetlands around here are no longer, they have been drained for farming. My parents are guilty of doing it. They had 60 acres or more that was river-bottom wetlands, when a dry year came in the 80's they jumped at the chance to get in and tile it for farming. More money in their pocket. I hope Iowa can get their wetlands back to improve out habitat for not only waterfowl, but all wildlife. Pheasant populations are poor around here also.

I'm starting to ramble and remember the good old days of growing up :thumbsup:
waterfowler
hunter

Postby dogknott » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:42 pm

New here, and always got the fever for the fowlen!!
dogknott
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:49 pm

Welcome aboard dogknott :welcome: Hope you learn new things and give us some of your knowledge :thumbsup:
waterfowler
hunter

Postby QuackAttacker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:26 pm

I think there gonna start draining some marshes in central iowa to take out the rough fish. I dont know if it already started or when its starting but hopefully it will help the waterfowl in this part of the state. Hey browning what do you drive? I hunt big marsh too.
QuackAttacker
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:56 pm

This year I will have my 01 Xterra bright yellow there I got my own boat. Before I went with a friend from Kesley,he had a red ford.
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Postby horse » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:45 pm

Hay duckdog have they drained rush lake,or did they leave it alone,havent had chanse to get up that way all summer and your the only one that I now up that way.The kid reminded me to ask you when I got a chance.Hope you and yours doing well,and any help would be apreachiated.
smile all and have a great day all
horse
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:38 pm

ah asked you the same thing in the other post that I read first. Maybe this weekend, I will make a little trip down there and see what it looks like.

In the very near future the DNR is going to do a draw down on Diamond Lake, wich is between Lake Park, and Spirit Lake. This is going to be done mainly because of the rough fish that have over populated it. I have heard they have several lakes, and marshes scheduled to be done across the state. Don't know for sure when they are going to do them all.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting