Banding Day at Sweets Marsh

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Banding Day at Sweets Marsh

Postby waterfowler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:57 am

We had a very fast paced morning banding geese at Sweets Marsh. We banded around 200 new geese and read bands off of 100 that already had bands. We had one large pen and 2 small pens to sort into. The DNR used canoes to flock the geese into a funnel which led to the big pen, then we thinned the number down into 2 other pens. It was a warm morning. Here are some pics.

Son

Daughter

Large Pen

Sexing Birds

Fruits of their labor :thumbsup: They make a Father Proud :yes:

*****Take a kid hunting, They will remember for life******
waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:08 pm

Looks awesome, also looks like alot of work, goos work though. In the twenty some years I have been hunting I have shot one goose with a band, and no duck's. What rotten luck, I am a firm beleiver now that I am not meant to have any bands on my lanyard :laughing: .

Last year I hunted a small lake south of town and shot my limit (no bands of course), got back to the boat landing, and another group had four woodies with bands, what luck. Oh well I'd rather shoot ducks than bands, but both would be nice
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Looks like fun. Send a bunch of them my way will ya??? Ur daughter is wearing a Tripoli shirt. You know Darin Schrader or Chad Bernard???
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Postby waterfowler » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:36 pm

browninga, I know Chad Bernard. He has been wanting to go goosin with us, but it never seems to work out. What a goofball :toofunny:
*****Take a kid hunting, They will remember for life******
waterfowler
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:55 pm

I have turkey hunted with Chad nothing else.. I know a few others up there but cant remember there names.
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting