Barringer Slough Question??

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Barringer Slough Question??

Postby browninga5m » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Duckdog I see you are from up that way?? Have they fixed there boat ramp and channel yet? We used to go up there every year for opener and last time we went you couldnt even get out into the main part. It was all grown up with cattails. Thanks for the help!! :salude:
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:55 pm

I have'nt been out there this summer yet, but last year you could get out there in a smaller boat. It was decieving a chunk of cattails blew in the middle, and the route that looked like the way to go, was not it, seen several boats hung up on the muck, and cattails.

I personnaly don't hunt barringer that much anymore, been having luck on the small potholes, and alot less people to contend with.

Will run out there and see what it looks like for you
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Thank You That would be great!!! My mom lives in Wesley so we used to stay there and then leave in the morning. Had alot of great hunts there even though it is way out of our way..There was alot of different spots up there we just went there as it was the easiest.. Thanks again Mike
browninga5m
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:05 pm

Got between 7" and 8" of rain last week. The sloughs were needing it badly!!! Hopefully we will get some more rain through the rest of summer to keep the levels up. Sure makes for nicer hunting when you can motor, instead of pushpoling.

Hopefully have some more info for you tomorrow, drive by Barringer on the way home from work.

I know a guy that lives a 1/2 mil;e from there, and they are having a bunch of work done on there land. They enrolled it in some sort od program with the DNR, and they are putting 5 ponds in, should help pull some ducks off of the refuge.

If you ever get up here around opening weekend of pheasant season, try the ducks then. All them guys wearing oarnge kick the ducks up off of the sloughs all day long, makes for some great shooting.
duckdog
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Ok will have to try the opener for pheasants duck hunting up there. I hate the pheasant opener anyway,too many people. Is there an easier marsh that always holds water up there?? I have a 16ft long,6ft wide boat and it rides a lil deep,and no mud motor. There is one just north of there I hear alot about but never been there.Mike
browninga5m
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:28 pm

There is Trumbull Lake about a mile north of Barringer. That is where
I hunt on the pheasant opener, usaully there is not to many out duck hunting on that weekend. Only problem with Trumbull is you cant shoot geese there its in the canadian refuge, and just across the road is round lake, and that is a waterfowl refuge. But the action has always been good.

Drove by the boat landing tonight at Barringer, and it did'nt look to bad, it is hard to tell without getting out into it. If you got a 16' boat it might be a struggle. Alot can change in a month though. I have seen it before where, it opened up a week before, or has blown shut that quick also. That is why I like my little 12' boat, can get about anywhere with it.
duckdog
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 am

Does Trumball have good water?? I hunt Big Marsh and they always fill that so it always has good water when you go.
browninga5m
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting