how did everyone do?

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

how did everyone do?

Postby liv2dukhnt » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:01 pm

we hunted a small pond this morning, it had 300-400 ducks on it. finally got light enough to see the color on the ducks, 1hour later we had a 5 guy limit of mostly gadwalls, few widgion, a pintail and 4 gwt. awsome morning, broke 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ice. i will post pics. later. good luck to all in the morning.
DEAD HENS DONT LAY EGGS
liv2dukhnt
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Took the boat out to the local marsh at midnight. There were about 10 boats already there. Got to the spot I liked and set-up and fell asleep. Woke up and there was a nice layer of ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ended up with 3 Gadwall,nice Drake Mallard,1 Ringbill,hen Woodie. I have never seen so many ducks so early around here. There were alot of guys and alot of shooting but will be there again in the morning but not until 5ish..
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Postby Long Grove labs » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:24 am

We did real good on the River. I can't believe the amount of new ducks all ready. They decoyed VERY well. Lots of new geese around too. plan on hitting them next weekend. We shot Mallards, Woodies BW Teal, Gadwalls, and Pintails.
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...Holy crap...what a ride!"
Long Grove labs
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:49 am

Saturday 4 mallards, and 2 widgeon, had to break ice also, but the ducks flew till noon.

Sunday 2 mallards, pintail, widgeon, gadwall, and gwt.

Was a great weekend to be out, I used a air lucky duck this year, and Sunday the duck's did'nt wan't to decoy very well till I pulled it out of the spread. They seem to be getting smart already. Good luck all!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby cdwjrw3909@yahoo.com » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 pm

1 gwt and a lot of empty sheels on the ground
cdwjrw3909@yahoo.com
hunter

Postby liv2dukhnt » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:01 pm

hunted this morn. at a local lake not many ducks, fair number of geese we ended with a mallard, a gwt, a banded hooded merganser, 3 geese.
DEAD HENS DONT LAY EGGS
liv2dukhnt
hunter

Postby jonpetersen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:23 pm

duckdog, I had the same experience yesterday afternoon, I took the lucky out of the spread and they piled in.

I am about ready to leave it at home, seems like I just end up putting it back in the boat

Jon
jonpetersen
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Mallard, pintail, bufflehead, 2 gadwalls, and a woodie- all drakes :thumbsup: . My lab had an awesome triple retrieve on the 2 gadwalls, and woodie that were all in the mix at once.
duckdog
hunter

Postby liv2dukhnt » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:41 pm

hey duckdog how is the water level like at barringers? i havent been there in a few years. how many rigs been up there? thanks liv2.
DEAD HENS DONT LAY EGGS
liv2dukhnt
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Water levels are decent at barringer, depends on what kind of boat, and motor you are going to run, as far as if you can hunt the small potholes way back in there, or stay out on the big water. Hunted there on Saturday evening, seen quite a few birds, but they were going into the small holes, I was off of the point on the south end. There sure has been alot of people hunting it , thats why I like to wait till late in the season before I spend alot of time there.
duckdog
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting