Restoration of Iowa Rivers

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Restoration of Iowa Rivers

Postby feathhd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 am

IRR supports development of a river restoration program for Iowa’s rivers and streams. Help us assure that river restoration is a priority topic on the docket when the Iowa legislature convenes an Interim Iowa Rivers and Waterways Study Committee, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Capitol. Its charge includes to: Consult with interested parties in considering options for restoring the quality of Iowa's rivers and waterways.

IRR urges river enthusiasts to contact your local legislators to support the work of the Interim Committee and encourage them to act to establish a program to protect and restore Iowa's rivers and streams, similar to Iowa’s successful lake restoration program. If you live in the District of one of the Interim Study Committee members, your call is especially important!
Find out who is on the committee and get more information about river restoration.
http://iowarivers.org/irr-calls-interes ... gislators/
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Re: Restoration of Iowa Rivers

Postby feathhd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:48 pm

06-25-2013, 06:16 PM #1
feathhd
IAW Veteran

Iowa Big River Restoration & Recovery Funding
Folks I have gradually been working on the last bit of legislation for 2014. The one that I am working on would apply strictly to Restoring, Enhancing Iowa Rivers by applying a source of revenues generated to be strictly used as matching sources in Federal CREP revenues and Federal NAWCA support.

Looking at restoring Iowa's River systems to not only address water quality issues but address flooding issues and associated Native backwater and chute habitat losses.

HMMM looking familiar:D;)

Just giving you guys a heads up ,who want to see some major restoration of the rivers here in Iowa, this is a perfect opportunity to show your support and engage in the initiative to make it happen. Sign up to keep briefed on the issue. Make sure that any of those legislature that are from your neck of the woods hears from you. Back waters chutes, marshes etc. It is all up to how motivated you all get as to how big this New Initiative is.

Bill
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby feathhd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:03 pm

F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Postby feathhd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:23 am

Hello Senate & House Members

I write today to say thank you for taking up the issue of investing in our Iowa Rivers & Waterways.

Recreational Economics is about the only investment you can make as a legislature where the Economic impact is going to be a direct benefit to rural Iowa, Urban Iowa and the state as a whole. These investments we make Today will reduce tax payer liabilities associated with Spring Flooding and yes Phosphorus issues that our present water treatment facilities are fighting but ultimately will be reflected in Iowa Tax payers Water Bills.

I have personally covered every major flood event we have had in Iowa from the Miss to the Big Mo. the DM, Iowa, Cedar etc and could provide a lot of good reading material to help you bring a solution to the table that Helps us as a state and as constituents of the state greatly reduce the associated Tax payer liabilities that eat away at tax payers pockets every year! At the same time applying these investments that provide a Positive Economic return to Iowa tax payers.

What we do today in developing a sound Iowa Rivers & Restoration program / Initiative will ultimately dictate our ability to reduce those tax payer liabilities, Now & the Future. What we do today on this big issue has the capability of generating Hundreds of Millions in Recreational Economic returns + Jobs, businesses.

I ask that each of you please Review General Galloways Flood Report and take a lot of what he points out to heart! http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~jsalas/u ... lloway.pdf

I ask that each of you please Review Iowa's Present CREP program initiative and compare that initiative to what all other sister states have done around us with the same program. Most importantly I ask you to look at the states contribution and compare that to what other have done all around us. This specific program has to be a part of our future success and the only way that is going to happen is to increase the states level of contribution.
http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/waterRes ... Report.pdf

Please review Iowas IDNR Recreational Economic Impact documents.
Please review Iowas Mo. River Recreational Economic Impact Report.

How do we reach farmers to do more and consider conservation Options. I think we have to make them a part of the Economic Model here. That means creating a Recreational Permit Access pass associated to targeted Rivers and incorporate The Temporary Migratory Habitat Initiative as added incentive to encourage greater participation. http://nitcnrcsbase-www.nrcs.usda.gov/I ... 049306.pdf

Last and certainly not the least and maybe one of the most important document in this letter is
the twentieth Century Agricultural Drainage Impact document on River Systems by Schottler.

Again I thank you all for this effort and look forward in anyway I can to participate and fully engage in this Initiative.

Sincerely,

William J. Smith
President
Mo. Valley Waterfowlers Association
Sioux City Iowa
5309 hwy75n lot 44
712-274-3343
FHD101@AOL.COM
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting