iowa duck hunters

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

iowa duck hunters

Postby fred » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:01 pm

anyone on here around the muscatine atalissa area,i do all kinds of huntin from coon to ducks and geese would like to talk to some locals as to how your season was this year.
fred harroun
fred
hunter

Postby Quackerstacker » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:08 pm

Fred,
Glad to see someone from my area on this forum. I am from Muscatine well I actually live closer to Fairport along the Mississippi.

We killed a few ducks last year but nothing spectacular. We had some good days and some bad days. We hunted Cone Marsh a lot and Indian Slough a few times. I don't hunt Odessa very often because I don't like the midnight boat races. I gave up hunting the Cedar because it just ain't worth a crap anymore. Some freinds of mine still hunt a pond in the Cedar bottoms just up river a little ways from G-28 and they only killed 7 ducks last year between 4 guys. My older brother kills quite a few geese on the Cedar just south of Atalissa every year but he doesn't shoot very many ducks.

How did you do last year? :)
Last edited by Quackerstacker on Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Honts

Hunt hard! Hunt safe!
Quackerstacker
hunter

Postby fred » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:50 pm

hi jerry,we didnt do worth a crap never killed a duck and killed one honker.im a 1/4 mile north of f70 right across from corrials and all the geese stay at his place and he wont let ya hunt.we just didnt see any ducks this year and when we did season was over.was out to cone marsh sunday with my bro in law mike middagh and the place is full of ducks and geese. mallards , pintails,teal,gadwall,widgen,shovlers,bluebills,woodies,snows,honkersand specs.where i live is on dead end road we have a marsh but no ducks im putting out some woody houses this week.hey give me a call sometime maybe we can get togrther compare notes lol. ive been workin my lab pup alot lately she is really comin along great. well thanx for the respons and call if ya ever get bored lol. 563-649-3635
fred harroun
fred
hunter

Postby Quackerstacker » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:34 pm

My brother was the same way with ducks last year on the Cedar. We had one good flight day at Cone Marsh where we all got limits but the same day my brother was hunting his blind on the Cedar and didn't see hardly any ducks.

I know your brother-in-law Mike. I don't know if he remembers me but he used to work at Plow & Pedal years ago. My dad had a landscape business back then and we used to have our equipment repaired there. Does he still work for MPW? I think his wife used to work at Plow & Pedal back then also.

We've been out to the marsh and seen all those ducks and geese. The Mississippi is loaded with bluebills and redheads right now. It has been for quite a while.

I was wondering if you have heard of the Waterfowl Association of Iowa. It is a nonprofit organization that has been around for about 2 years (maybe a little less) that is trying to do some good things for Iowa waterfowlers. If you haven't heard of them I am inserting a link that will take you to their website. Check it out if you haven't already. I think that in the years to come they will do some great things for us hunters. If you can afford to become a member it's only $25.00 for a years membership. Even if you can't let the money go check out their website. It's free to post on the forum there and it is mainly other Iowa duck hunters that you would be chatting with. The link is posted below.

http://www.iowawaterfowl.com/

Good luck with the lab. I know how trying it can be training a pup but the rewards are sure worth the effort. :D
Jerry Honts

Hunt hard! Hunt safe!
Quackerstacker
hunter

iowa duck hunters

Postby horse » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:31 pm

I'm new here but im from webster city area and bird where good in this area and over to about hgy 59 area north of 20. the old lakes I grew up hunting had good suplys of birds this past seson, the lakes I faverd where lizard east of pochahantis and little clear , west of there over to big wall over north and east of webster. the more rushes and the more rat house the better supply of ducks I was finding , from woddys to mallards and a few unlucky canadions that past our way.
smile all and have a great day all
horse
hunter

Postby Orion » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:22 pm

horse hunter, sounds like you had a pretty good season over there around webster city! Have you ever heard of the Waterfowl Association of Iowa?
Orion
Newb

W.I.A.

Postby horse » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:05 am

no I havent heard about them, but if there anything like D.U. I personaly dont want to know about them , I dont mean to sound rude about it but I have had bad run ins with du.members and there ideas and treatment of the common people and espesialy kids that are trying to learn. And yes i was once a member but no longer do to there attitudes and mine. If W.I.A. is different than du. I would like to know ,I liked du. ideas but they are more big money and I always thought it came from small money ... So if you beleive there ideas are similer but attitudes are different please let me know. thank you for your time and any reply will be welcome........ Horse.
horse
hunter

Postby Death Dealer » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:59 pm

horse hunter, i am also from the webster city area. what is your name and how did you do this past weekend for ducks?
Death Dealer
Newb

Postby horse » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:39 pm

death dealer ,JR is my name and enjoyment wise I did ok /but crappy duck wise. truck brokedown on kid and I sat. on way west over to little clear by pochantis and sun. kid got a few pass shoots over at big wall after we got out late.got 2 blue wing on mon. and 1 on tuesday but any day duck hunting is better than working even if I didnt get a hole lot I still enjoyed myself with and without the kid with me. :thumbsup: got the geese to stop in on my decs and even those crazy carmerants landed in with my decs along with pelicans so I had them set desant but there just wasent alot of ducks to shoot at. carmerants pelicans and geese all set with in 10 feet of my bout and blind and the look on there faces was priceless when I let the Runt growl at them and dropped the blind so the could see us.head shots on the teal after I sat and watched dog drewl watching themfor a few minetes :laughing: as vacations go it was great and relaxing and I enjoyed myself even with the ducks not coming by. got to run, no rest for this duck hunter I'm back to work and just waiting for 2nd seson to start. have a good day and a better one tommarow...
horse
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting