Woodbury & Monona County Temporary Migratory Habitat Managem

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Would you be Supportive of this Test Pilot Project / Program?

Poll runs till Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 1

Woodbury & Monona County Temporary Migratory Habitat Managem

Postby feathhd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:09 pm

This is an idea to create a Temporary Migratory Habitat Management Program that can be applied to the private landscape where traditional conservation programs are not an Option.

The idea is simple and this is somewhat of a test for me to see what the level of Support may be for said Pilot program. Now , hell yes I would love to see something like this as a state wide objective but before you can run you gotta crawl.

What the concept is , is to pay x number of dollars per acre, 1 to 60 to seasonally pump water from pivot irrigation systems to crop residual be it bean, corn. Doesnt matter.

X for public hunting opportunity

X for Refuge

X for residual temp retention with at least 1 acre of permanent wetland restoration, added incentive to WRP support.

All this would be is nothing more than specifically focusing of Migratory Habitat enhancement that functions just like the Iowa Walk In Access program but with greater flexibility. As I have stated over the years is that the political will and policy decisions will greatly impact / influence our ability to permanently secure migratory habitat on the private landscape. They are never going to fund any of them adequately to do the scale of restoration that is absolutely necessary and thus the vast majority of the landscape as we know it will always remain into some form of production or another. So how do we reach the vast majority of the landscape we otherwise will never reach by traditional means? How do we fill the Gap SO THAT SAID ACRES enhance our ability to attract, hold more waterfowl? How do we enhance and improve our existing areas of opportunity?

I believe this to be that opportunity to bridge that Big Gap but it's going to take an example to be set before a much larger concept can be implemented.

I am looking at potentially generating this lic option or permit fee at the tune of $50 maybe a 100. I am thinking before enough money is generated the fee would have to be collected over a 2 year period and tested over a 5 year cycle then reviewed.

Would you be Supportive of a test pilot program of this nature?
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Re: Woodbury & Monona County Temporary Migratory Habitat Man

Postby feathhd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 pm

F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Re: Woodbury & Monona County Temporary Migratory Habitat Man

Postby feathhd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 pm

But anyway make sure you read the PDF's on the subject. Its a good read and for some it may change your mind about the true possibilities out on our landscape.

https://www.ducks.org/conservation/h...-north-america

How right am I?
https://prod.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/porta...teldevb1027669
F/H/D
feathhd
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting