Mountain Lion's in Iowa???

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Mountain Lion's in Iowa???

Postby duckdog » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:33 pm

The last few year's there has been an increasing population of storie's about mountain lion's, cougar's, puma's, whatever yuo want to call them. Every hunter in the state is talking about them. I'm sure 99% of these are storie's people are making up, but a buddy of mine that work's with the DNR has investigated several lion shooting's in the state, and there has even been some on the new's. I have personally never seen one here but there are some in the state no doubt in my mind, just not as many as the storie's claim. Also there has been alot of bobcat sighting's, and have even heard that the DNR is considering opening a trapping season on bobcat's in the near future. Keep an eye open out there!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:30 am

Now there is supposed to be a cougar, running around the area near my town. Seem's odd because we have no big piece's of timber around or anything that would seem to there liking. Anyhow it is supposed tp been spotted south of the Trumbull, and Round Lake area. Now I would put this off as a rumor except the DNR was coming around asking a few of the landowner's if they could set trap's for it ( don't know if they were live trap's, or leghold's) so maybe there is some truth to rumor. I guess there is plenty of rabbit, squirrell, and other small critter's wild, and domestic for it to feed on.
duckdog
hunter

Postby King Eider » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:44 am

If you are truly concerned and want the truth call Ron Andrews, fur bearer biologist for the DNR i Clear Lake. 641-357-3517. Ron will shoot you the gospil.
King Eider
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:45 pm

Not really to concerned about the cat's being here. I do believe they are in Iowa, I know a person that work's for the DNR and has said that thry are here, just not as many as people think. I actually like to hear the storie's about them, as it can get quite interesting. The only concern I would have about one being around is that if my children would be in danger. Also if there was one in the area, and was spotted I don't think it would be around for long, as many of the people I know would most likely try and dispatch it. There is no season on them, and they are not protected.
duckdog
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting