What's your favorite ???

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

What's your favorite ???

Postby duckdog » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:47 pm

What is your favorite kind of decoy to use in Iowa, and what style, or pattern do you use that work's the best?
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:53 pm

I use mallard decoy's (standard's), made by Flambeau, but I am going to sell them next summer, and get some better quality one's. Also am going to start mixing in a dozen blubill decoy's that I painted up, I think that the white on them will really help, get my spread noticed. As for a pattern I like to throw them out in small group's and leave hole's for them to land in. Going to put the bluebill's, and goose floater's on the outer edge.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby KC/WL » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:48 am

My party and I will arange our G&H and Big Foot floaters in the J or uneven V pattern with the B/F on the up windside to the outside of the spread for a blocking effect. If machanical decoys are used we put them in front of the blind were ever it is located within the spread.
Many time if we are the only people on the marsh we will sit a few yards above or below the blocks if needed. All depending on the mood of the quackers.
If on a public marsh and the only ones there leave the robos in the boat you will find the hunt has a feal of the old times when they were not needed.
KC/WL
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting