Duck Hunting Forum banner

Trumeter swan's coming back in Iowa

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  gregj03 
#1 ·
For sometime now the Iowa DNR has been releasing trumpeter swan's, as part of a wing's, and wetland program. Every year they release roughly 12 - 15 swan's that are anywhere from one to three year's old. Most of the swan's are right here from Iowa, that have been hatched in pond's that are protected. This fall I have seen five of them already that I assume are migrating through. I have'nt seen any all summer, and all of a sudden they start showing up with there huge neckband's on! Last year there was 18 of them on one lake in late november, on a open hole in the ice, most I have ever seen at once in the area.

I try and make it out to the releasing of them every spring, with the kid's of course. They put on quite a show, the DNR will have a little seminar about the swan's, and there history. Very interesting, they also let the kid's pet, and touch them before they are released. Usally they let 3-5 of them go in each countie in NW Iowa. I don't know if they do this all over the state, or not. Sure seem's like a great program to me. Who know's maybe someday, when there number's are better we could possibly hunt them!

#2 ·
Worked by Storm Lake today, and a couple mile's north on Highway 71 there is a pond that they raise swan's on, there was about ten of them on there, and six of them had a darker shade to them, like they were covered in dust or something. Was wandering if they might possibly be younger bird's. Anyone have an idea.

#3 ·
Duckdog, hwy 3 and 71 always have swans there. Heck the darker/grey ones you saw probley came from Cherokee. I work for the Cherokee County Conservation Board, we have a breading pair that we keep at Larson Lake. This year they had 5 cignets and 2 weeks ago we cliped there wings and banded them and they were took over to 3\71 corner by storm lake. Between last year and this year of waterfowl hunting i have seen 7 swans in the wild that have been released. 4 this year and 3 last year. I have one on video tape, Its really neat when you have worked with the Swan restoration program to see one in the wild.
Well got to go make some dinner

Farley

#4 ·
gregj03, first of all welcome to the site :welcome: :welcome: :thumbsup: . This is an awesome place to help, and get helped, or just talk bird's, alway's good to see someone from Iowa on here, ecspecially the northwest part!!! Where is Larson Lake at in Cherokee county? I work for rural water (Clay Co.), and have been doing alot of work in Buena Vista, and Cherokee countie's. I really like going by 3 and 71 to alway's get a look at the swan's there, and if were close to it, I will stop there and eat lunch! Again welcome to the site!!! :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Thank you for the Welcome duckdog. Larson Lake is 1 mile west of M27 and 2 miles south of Hwy 3, its located on 10th ave on the border of Cherokee-BV. its over by Aurelia, Ia. Its an old gravel pit. As of right now, we only have the male swan there, but i belive my boss is going to pick up one cygnet and the female today from the rehabilitation place in Spirit Lake. So by the end of today there should be 3 swans back there.

Well again thank you for the welcoming. I need to get to work

Farley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.