Never hunted out of a boat. Need Help!

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Never hunted out of a boat. Need Help!

Postby Sam79 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:26 am

I just recently moved to Knoxville and would like to hunt Lake Red Rock and all of the back waters around it. Just one problem I have never hunted from a boat and have no idea where to begin. What kind of boat will work best for this situation? What kind of gear do I need? What tactics work best? I have a young son that will be joining me in the boat in a few years and a lab that is a great hunting partner so I need room for the two of them and maybe a friend. I have no idea about blinds and tactics and such. I grew up around the Mississippi river on ski boats and such so I am familiar with boat operation just a little shaky on shallow water and motors and such. A little help.
Sam79
Newb

Postby duckdog » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:22 pm

First of all welcome to the site. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :salude: I am not familiar with Red Rock, except for it is a pertty good body of water. I would suggest a minium of a 14' boat, with atleast a 10 horse short shaft motor ( if you plan on hunting any shallow water) I hunt out of a 12' v-hull, but my son has started hunting with me the last couple years, and with him, a dog, and decoy's it is getting awefully crowded. A blind can be nice, just make sure the material's you use for one, are made out of the same as your surrounding's so it blend's in well. Start out with a dozen, or two of decoy's, mallard's work the best IMO. Flambeau's are cheap, but the paint don't last, GHG Hot Buy's are cheap to, and they look very nice. I like to throw out anywhere from 4 - 8 goose floater's with my spread, seem's to help with the duck's. Never tried a Robo duck, that's all personal preference. Remeber if the duck's are not coming in that there is something they don't like about your set up, don't be afraid to try something different. Best of luck to you, and your son. My boy just shot his first duck this year, and it was AWESOME!!! Once again welcome :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby KC/WL » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:43 am

Welcome to the site and good luck during the season.

I to am not familar with RR. I believe it is a large body of water the waves on windy days will require a large seaworthy boat.
I hunt out of a 16ft. flatbottom that has a 50hp with a nice WIND PROF aluminum blind on it and an 18ft flatbottom with a Mudbuddy with a aluminum blind on it also. Both boats are extra wide extra deep.
It your are serious about the sport you will want to be prepared to spend all day on the water. So wind prof and keeping the weather elements from making you cold will be the best advice I can give.

There are also many smaller areas in the central part of the state to consider also. They maybe a bit easier to hunt then RR.

Good luck and post your experiences
KC/WL
hunter

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting