Daily Limits

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Daily Limits

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:36 am

This is my first year at it alone and I just realized I dont have a very good concept of the daily limits. I understand its 6 ducks, no more than one hen mallard, 1 pinny, 1 canvasback.

widgeons/odd ducks such as redheads, buffleheads etc, can I shoot 6 of em?

teal, count towards the 6, or is that a seperate 4?

The wording on the KDWP is kinda odd.

What exactly does the posession limit mean? if I go out three days in a row, can I limit each day and have 18 ducks in my freezer? or do I have to be eating duck all season long, to keep the posession limit down?

Thanks, this was really never explained to me before.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby webfeet » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 pm

bagpiper- things can get a little confusing w/ the regs but just look at it like this: you can only shoot five mallards (1 can be a hen but doesn't have to be); you can only shoot 4 teal or 4 teal & 2 mallards or vice versa or mix however as long as theres no more than 4 teal in the six; you can shoot 1 pinny,canvas, or mottled when they're in season (you can shoot one of each to make 3 but good luck) & that would go to your six. basically you CAN NOT take 6 ducks of the same species. just look at the numbers of each species that you can kill, & that your MIXED bag can never be more than 6. may not hurt to spend a few bucks on a waterfowl identity book to keep in your jacket (study it too) i've been doing this a while and still sometimes have a tough time deciphering at dusk looking down the end of a barrel! just wait until you're start trying to figure duck AND goose regs-lots of fun! the poss. limit is pretty vague i think, i just kill my limit (hopefully) and if want to eat them that day i do, if not i freeze them, i just ate the last of mine from last season a couple weeks ago. i'm sure someone else will specify on all this. my fingers hurt now gotta go, good luck. P.S. i'm probably wrong about everything i've just told you. :salude:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:18 pm

two possesions means two days total...or 12..
of which one days posseion could be 5 mallards, only one of them can be a hen tho. (some people think ya could shoot 5 drake mallards and one hen) wrong.. says 5 mallards....
or the others thats one duck could be one canvasback and 5 mallards to make the 6
or 5 gadwalls and one hen mallard.
or 6 gadwalls...
or one pintail, one canvasback 4 gadwalls...
or two woodies and one hen mallard, and 3 widgeons...
ya get the picture,,???? and when ya limit out shoot 740 snow geese....LOL...well thats in the spring....when there isnt no limit on snows...
the limits now are easier to understand when it was a point system... dang that got weird... could limit out with two ducks with points.......

in other words...
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:38 pm

I still dont understand the possesion limit. Its 12, but what does possesion mean? 12 ducks in the freezer? or can I keep more in the freezer? who will know how many is in my posession, will the warden come to my house?

Thanks for the help with the daily limits, that makes more sense now.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:37 am

yup..12 in the freezer,,, and yup game warden can come to your house... or your trunk...or your shed,,,, or the bushes behind your house...LOL.. in other words they can check... of course theres the reasonable suspicion things...and im sure if hes comin to your house...he will have the cops or sheriff with him... thats why also you have to keep the tags,,and stuff like the regs say... if not... guess what... fish and game laws are serious especially in some places and for good reason really.... they can confiscate guns,,, vehicles,,, hunting privileges for life even besides fines and prison terms....Poaching is a big business and isnt right....
Maybe one over duck limit will get ya a fine...but you have a moose in ur freezer with no tag..and its gonna get serious for sure....
The thing to do is eatem or give them away legally if ya want more birds....if there was no posession limit...then i guess a guy could shoot 6 a day for whole season... and thats alotta birds and no one can eat that many i dont think...wellllllllllllll unless ya gotta whole passle of younguns... then ya need to get them huntin too...cuz they can have their own possesion limits......
Fatweed
hunter

limits... be careful

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Aye, Fatweed, I have missed reading your posts all summer long! Those danged crappie get me out of these forums for that ugly part of the year...

You are certainly right about one thing - those old point systems... making me feel old... I remember being 10 or 12 and shooting a susie and a woody and, at 70 pts each, being DONE. Then going out another day and my dad and I shooting nearly 20 ducks, pitails and widgeon and 'bills, all at 10pts apiece. It was a whole different world. And if you weren't afraid of the warden's thermometer, you could take that Canvasback or Susie as the LAST duck that put you over the limit...

I have to say, I have seen some folks get into some trouble, shooting the wrong ducks. I've SEEN guns taken away, and heard of uglier stories than that. As it's said above, GET AN I.D. GUIDE, and then DON'T SKYBUST. Between the two, you oughta be able to figure out what you're shooting at. There's quite a few out there that don't get this, but conserving the resource and obeying the law REALLY IS more important than your limit that day. It sucks that some people think that's what this is all about. (And that's not just limited to JoCo hunters!) - (sorry, last season's inside joke on this forum... )

Good luck this season. Shoot'em, then eat'em, THEN GO GET SOME MORE!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:37 am

I went to that day long intro to duck huntin course at Quivira last weekend, put on by fish and game. They asked me when i asked about it for me and my adult son, if i was new to duck huntin...said no....cost 25 dollars a piece, but i figured i could do some scoutin there...
Anyway,,didnt have time to scout..course was all day and excellent.... Id recomend to anyone old or new to go if ya get the chance sometime....even if ya know it all it was worth the 25 bucks in the stuff they give you... gotta neat camo shoulder bag (retail 39.99) a pintail 6 way whistle.. a buck gardner duck call... and all kinds of literature,,, a hardback ducks unlimited hunting dabblers book.. couple of other smaller books,, a poster... a vcr tape,, a cd on calling... lotta stuff...plus lunch.. but also had a trap range and a patterning area...and they furnished steel shells.. ohhhhhhhhh heheh and lunch...LOL...even learned some stuff along the way....heheh son and i both enjoyed it,,and id recommend it... Ohhhhhhhh when the guy asked if i was new on the phone...like i said..i said no...then i got to thinkin about it...and my first duck hunt was in 1956 on the arkansas river near dodge city with my dad... yeah i was only 7 and not shootin a shotgun yet then...but i loved it...*S*... sooooooo thats dang near 50 years.....long time... hope i got a few more left... *S* cuz i love huntin with my sons...and hehehe also... the oldest son...when he finishes college here in couple more years...he gotta newborn grandson i cant wait to drag thru the weeds too....hehehehe....time and tradition goes on.... i hope...*S*....
Fatweed
hunter

Ok, I'm Not so old...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:38 am

Thanks, Fatweed! I don't feel so old anymore!

I saw that course online on the KDWP site, and have to admit, kinda chuckled... Thanks for setting me straight. Might have to take my little man out to that. Sounds very worthwhile - appreciate the report.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby webfeet » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:21 pm

fatweed- i didn't think firearms had been invented in 1956, were you and your dad killin' em w/arrows or swords?... good story, i just lost my grandpa and enjoy hearing other old timers' stories, makes me think about when my grandpa was teaching me to hunt... grouse and pheasants with a .410... i miss that stubborn old bastard. :salude:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:45 pm

Webfoot,
I can't imagine missing hunting pheasants with a .410...

Then again... those first couple years when I had to use a .410, I was "missing" about everything I shot at!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting