Duck Hunting Forum banner

Dog Help

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ducknado 
#1 ·
I will redeploy back to the Ft Riley area here shortly and was hoping to hook up with some guys that have a trained dog and wouldnt mind if i brought my dog around and trained/get ready with you for the season. Thanks.

#3 ·
This is kinda late, but I went to college in Manhattan. There used to be an old pro trainer named Jane Laman that lived north of Manhattan. She had a group of people out on Sat mornings for group training, throwing long retrieves, setting up blinds etc. I'm not sure if she's still doing this. There was another semipro trainer, Rick Stillwagon, that trained with her. I think he lives in JC or Chapman. You might try to get their numbers and see if this is still going on. It was a pretty fun group, and helped me out a ton with my dog.

Scott S.

#8 ·
jane is still alive and still training. And yes they still go train on Saturdays. She is a bit old school, but from my understanding, she still knows dogs really well.

#10 ·
cONG said:
what tranning dvd or book is everyone using? I have fowl dog 1 that it
Sam I am using Fowl Dogs 1-3 and I have only broke the surface of what needs to be done with it. I also use 10 minute retriever as a bathroom reader, have found that the book will pick up and answer questions that Rick Stawski misses or doesnt answer on the DVDs you might check it out. Also the #2 DVD is more of what you want if you want you dog running blinds and using hand signals. If you plan on doing that which I do, you might look into the other dvds in the series. They are way more informative than the intro disk IMO.

#11 ·
I second the 10 minute retriever book, it is a great place to start.

For the more advanced work, I used the SmartWork series and have had great results using it. The only thing that really slowed us down was hip dysplasia :(

I haven't read any of the others, but I think most of them are pretty comparable as other folks were getting similar results using different sources. IMHO, the biggest thing is to do a little bit every day and gradually increase, backing up if you hit something that doesn't work as expected. If the dog messes up, it usually isn't because they are just jacking around, but because they don't understand what you want them to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.