Lookin for a weekend shoot

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Lookin for a weekend shoot

Postby Mallyard » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:05 am

Anyone going out tomarrow? My buddie and I want to go out so bad tomarrow morning, but there arn't any ducks in my neck of the woods. I thought about headin out to the bottoms or Quivera. Anyone else planning on headin out? If so shoot me a PM and maybe we can shoot some ducks togeather.

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am

I'm going to Quivira tomorrow, but to scout. They are late Zone, so one more week. hope its not dry. I went out last weekend to scout, and all dried up!
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:49 pm

Well looks like I found my shoot.... 10 miles from my front door.
They must have been new migrators because they werent around 2 days ago. But we put the hammer on em.

-Waterfowl Wingmasters-
Headed out to a public pond this morning with 3 good buddies. The area is mostly dry and we havn't been abel to get a decent shoot all year. So our hopes weren't to high. We set out 6-7 doz mallards, teal, gadwall, wign, shovler, and 4 goose shells for confidence. About 45 min. beofre sunrise the pond started to fill up with birds, all out of range of course. We had a few splash in the decoys, and even had a coot land less than 5 yards from my feet on the shore. He about took out the goose shells. Anyways when the sun came up the ducks were all over. Ended the morning with a 15 bird total. It was an awesome morning. Another thing that was so cool about the hunt is we shot 6 speices. Wgn, gadwall, pintail, redhead, ruddy, and green wing. Enjoy the pics.

One of each species

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby webfeet » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:08 pm

IMPRESSIVE BABY!!! gotta love mix bags like you shot, relish it, eat 'em, and roll around in feathers w/someone (hopefully not a buddy). great job.
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:41 pm

Way to go, that is definitely news I wanted to see and here around the area. With the big weekend approaching us, glad to see the birds are starting show. This will be my second year with the ducks and I am looking so forward to getting to learn more and hopefully get several limits this year. That must be an awesome feeling to get into the birds like that and especially to get the mixed bag like you did. Congrats to you and your friends and remember.........Keep some of them ducks in the air so they make it a little bit more south of you. :thumbsup: :salude:
Captain16
hunter

Nice Bag...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:33 am

Nice Bag, Mallyard & Co... Nothing beats a little color in there. Just a little Green in there, and you're set! Hope we get some numbers down here on the east side of the state for next weekend. Good luck. Wish the same for us next weekend...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:04 pm

very very nice mallyard i jsut hope we can get any number of birds here in the late zoe for opening don't look that great around here and john redman is full of well ask ks waterfowler better to stay on privet for opeing lol
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

... yeah ...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:34 am

yeah, Yellow... I know... JoCo Clowns, go ahead and finish your sentence! Hey, I got a couple buddies that have been down there 3-4 times in the last month scouting, so I'll get ya'll their license plates so their tires don't get slashed. They're legit...

We're not ALL that bad!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:42 am

hey i knwo i have relation up there i am just given you all a hard time be cool man... but yeah you better give out there plate numbers :cool:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:57 pm

I saw some of this same b.s. on the board last year. Why do hunters from JoCo get such a bad rap? This is only my second season to live and hunt here. I spent the last 28 years killin ducks in the duck hunting capital of the world, Arkansas, so I am far from being a noob. Just because I live in Johnson County means I'm less of a hunter? Or a "clown"? I think not. Let's see who kills a limit this Saturday (yes, on public land). :umm:
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

JoCo

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:30 pm

If you've spent any time here in JoCo, you get the ribbing. There are a number of folks from JoCo who fit the stereotypical weekend warrior. It's easy to poke at, and much of it is deserved. I think what we all understand is that there are clowns who can ruin the sport all over the place, from all areas, and all walks. We had a lot of fun last season bouncing this around, and it was all in fun. I have been accepted here, and met some folks in this KS forum that I have hunted with, done business with, and have become pretty good friends with. Don't take any of this personally! It's not just duck hunting, JoCo gets a much deserved funky rap about a lot of things in general. I've lived in JoCo my whole life, so I get it. Just gotta have fun with it. We're all here for the same reason...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:44 am

:withstupid: yeah i am sorry that i offened you to alot of us jocos is more or less more than people from jo co. it just seems like about every time you go out there is someone from around taht doing something stupid ...

short story:
last season durring pheasent season we were walking a milo feild shooting birds here and there but most flushing a little wild (were running a yong young dog) right and some gues pulled up by our tucks (were we started to walk from) when we were about 30 yards off the roads so they could tell which way we were going. the guys looked as if they were "blocking" we got done with the field and walked back to the trucks and the guys say wow birds are holding tight we blocked for you guys and not one bird can over us... sure enough we looked at the plates... JO... it was jsut funny and after many many events like this it just kinda sticks to everyone no matter how good of hunter they are and there are a few good ones ... i have relation up there and is a pretty good one himself

when i day taht i really am not talking about everyone in jo co it is just in "urban" kansas jo. co is the closes thing to the city we have so it is a way of saying city flok

i would like to end in saying i am sorry if i did affend any one because i knwo when i use it i am more or less talking about a type of hunter in general (that most people understand) not a real person for jo co athough there are some that do fit this catigory :mrgreen:

yellowlab
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby webfeet » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:32 am

yellowlab- either this is a big joke or you have to buy a DICTIONARY dude. i grew up and hunted at the bottom of Mt. St. Helens and now live and work in the Wichita metro area...strangely enough it hasn't affected my ethics or ability to hunt. before you go bustin' city boy's balls you may want to learn how to spell them... i think i've been screwed by just about every county in the state at one point in time. :hammering:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting