mechanical dekes

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

mechanical dekes

Postby webfeet » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:19 pm

has anyone heard about a push to ban mech./elec. dekes here. they're being banned all over the place. a buddy of my dad-n-law is a warden, and is pretty confident that it's a matter of time before we can't use em here, say it's not so, sometimes thats all i use. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :thumbsdown:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:02 pm

yeah they are very very effective and are great to hunt under and yeah before long they will be banded all over and until that time i will still be loveing the birds they do bring but when they do you can still kill birds without them. they are not sometype of magic killer. sometimes on hunts where i have to walk a ways and am just going by myself and the dog i don't even use mine becuase i don;t have enough hands to carry it ... use them while you can :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:12 pm

This is the first year they have been banned in Arkansas. I'm anxious to see how my buddies down there do without them.

I don't particularly have a preference. Sometimes I hunt with it, sometimes without. I have noticed that some days it works good, sometimes it flares ducks. There has been many occasions where I have taken it down because they were flaring. When I took it down, they came on in. I think it just depends on what mood they're in (and if they've been shot at from a spread with one in it). The main reason they have banned them is because they supposedly attract the younger birds. I would tend to agree because if a seasoned bird that had been shot at before saw it, he would look the other way. A young bird has probably never seen one, and might think it his momma.

It does help to have some kind of motion in your spread. I have found a little device called an H2O magnet that works very well. I never hunt without them. It's a little hockey puck shaped deal that works on two AA batteries. It has a little gyrating magnet inside. When you turn it on and put it in the water, it creates ripples throughout your spread. I use 1 for every dozen dekes I put out. I have actually had birds land on them before!

If they ban them, the only thing I'd be pissed about is the $150 that I blew last year.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby golden boy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:42 am

I wrote a letter to the dept of why they should be banned and they wrote me back saying they are monitoring the decoys but have yet to make a decision. Sadley it probably won't happen and my eyes will be blurred from looking at them.
golden boy
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:18 am

I like em. I say keep em!
Riverjumper
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting