Where did everyone go?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Where did everyone go?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:45 am

Where did you Kansas Guys go? I never went teal hunting since I never saw a teal on Flint Hills NWR. Spent my time dove hunting and flocking the heads on our goose decoys.

Turkey Season opens Friday and I got my eye on a group of 12 gobblers. I know where they roost, where they eat, and where they cross to get there. If that don't pan out I am gonna hunt some family groups.

Anyone else fall turkey hunt? If not, I would be glad to introduce someone to the sport.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:15 pm

Im here, only went dove huntin about twice and didnt do too good....kinda unusual.... went sunday last to look for teal but didnt see any.... and this weekend had tooooooooo many things to do.... gotta get caught up so when big ducks and geese opens i have time to go... *S*... PS got my new call from here in the mail today...blows purty fair too....now i need some birds to practice on... or a coyote...LOL..i called in a coyote one time with a duck call.....LOL.... and im still scoutin fer the birds....just havbent seen any but native ones so far.... well other than a couple of woodies...but didnt even see them teal opener.....
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:30 pm

I am still here I din't see any teal ether and dove didn't pan out for me so I am just waiting for opening day.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Mallyard

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:58 pm

Where did Mallyard go? Haven't seen him post in awhile. I have to go to a mandatory extrication class on opening day. I'll probably give them a try on the sunday and monday although I hate fighting the crowds. Never met so many city guys that thought they could hunt. Last year so many tickets got handed out for over limits of certain species (pintails mainly), plus so many people made for crappy hunting that few people returned the second day. That was a once in a lifetime experience I think.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Bud » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:39 am

I didn't make it out. [...........] didn't have many teal at all, but a lot of woodies and a few pintail. I'll bet that the Johnson County city boys received their fair share of citations for killing the wrong type of bird.

As an aside, I had my calls out a couple of weeks ago practicing, and they somehow got lost. I searched the house, blamed my teenagers, etc., but can't find them. I ended up buying a couple of new replacements, and now have to get re-acquainted with new calls that just don't have the same "feel" and seasoning as my old ones.

Thank goodness that I'm a cheapskate, and didn't lose a new Foiles or BGB.
Last edited by Bud on Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud
hunter

City boys

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:22 pm

City boys and one local guy are the only people I every have trouble with. I guess they figure that they drove 1.5 hours and are gonna hunt. Then since they didn't scout the look to see where I am at and get as close as they can. Been on the verge of pounding a few too. They shoot at birds 60+ yards away, they spook the ducks with crappy calling, and shoot at ducks coming into my decoys. I think some of those guys can't tell the difference between a coot and a mallard.

By the way guys, don't post up where you are hunting when you post. I have discussed this with some guys from my area in other forums. If you want to post pics, tell about the hunt great, but don't let them know where the ducks are being shot. Lots of the city guys get on this and just go to where they are killing birds. Make them scout for it a little. Nothing easy boyz.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Bud » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:41 pm

Duly noted, and duly edited. :mrgreen:
Bud
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:22 pm

NO chit.... been there had that done... LOL... tellem that ya gottem up on a waterpond in downtown KC... in a mall....beside cabelas... heheheh
Fatweed
hunter

Still no Mallyard

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:49 pm

Still no Mallyard. Hope the kid is okay. He used to be on here all the time. Anybody heard from him? I am getting a little worried. Us Kansas guyz gotta look out for one another.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:55 am

Hey folks, Sorry I didn't post sooner, I've been busy with school. I appriciate your guys concern. I hit up the Mcpherson wetlands a few times during teal season. Wasn't too good. I heard the mornings out there were pretty amazing, but unfourtetly I couldn't make it out there for a morning. Todays the youth hunt, this is the last year I qualify for it. It dosn't look like I'll make it out to the marsh. :thumbsdown: ... I can't wait till I'm 16 and can go when my dad can't make it. Well Thanks agian for all ya'lls concern! I'll talk to ya'll later.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

10-4

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:28 pm

I can relate with you Mallyard, school isn't fun. Did get out and kill a gobbler on the first day of fall turkey season though.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:28 pm

hello every one
americus here... small town near emporia
yeah teal season didn't really work out as nice as it has the past couple of years ... but i din't try all that hard either didn't see many ducks so just messed around shoting dove and then as soon as turkey season opened shot one but i can't wait tell goose season opens don;t think i get to hunt opeing night because have to take "someone" over to the haunted house over in ks waterfowlers neck of the woods but that sunday i hope there are birds in the air:)
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:37 pm

hey forgot to ask are there many birds on john redmen yet i spent this weekend looking at coucil grove... not many birds there

and i am the same with you guys although i am still an ameture i still understand not messing around at redmen open weekdays for the same reasons... always run into them when huting out west for upland or with up that way with my bro
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:46 pm

Not much at redmon at all. Place to be is cheyenne bottoms.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:25 pm

my bro said there were a few limits there but not the masses as normal but i guess there aren;t the numbers anywhere in kansas yet
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting