Sat. hunt Pictures.

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Sat. hunt Pictures.

Postby Mallyard » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:45 am

~Waterfowl Wingmasters~
Hunters: Davis, Borgen, and Bishop.
Decoys: about 6 doz. Including a quiver butt.
Got a call from a buddy lastnight saying they'd found a hot spot that was covered with thousands of birds. So after a debate with the parents, three of us were headed out at 12:30 am this morning. After setting out the decoys and catching a few more hours of sleep. Shooting time came. Withing 40 min. we had 18 ducks laying behind us. I couldn't even keep my gun loaded. We were disapointed that we only shot one mallard (hen) :( . They just havn't moved down yet. Enjoy the pictures!

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:55 am

Nice, Mallyard!
You've started off pretty well...
I hunted my new pond... more like a little lake, at 8-10 acres. Saw a few ducks flying high and away, but nothing working. Spot definitely has promise. Did sweet talk a couple nice honkers in though, to avoid getting skunked!

Tomorrow is another day! (Another warm one, unfortunately, but hey...)
[/img]
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:33 pm

KS_PuddleJumper wrote:Nice, Mallyard!
You've started off pretty well...
I hunted my new pond... more like a little lake, at 8-10 acres. Saw a few ducks flying high and away, but nothing working. Spot definitely has promise. Did sweet talk a couple nice honkers in though, to avoid getting skunked!

Tomorrow is another day! (Another warm one, unfortunately, but hey...)
[/img]

sounded like my hunt got me a limit of geese but the ducks were alittle hard to come by (gaddy) :withstupid: mallyard: few mallards down but are hard to come by...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:15 pm

I can't hunt until next week. At work right now and don't get off till 8 am Monday, then I go teach class at 10. Rest of the week is 8-5

Good luck to everyone who is going out.

BTW: They are drastically cutting my hours so I will be hunting almost everyday in Mid november-Jan 6.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby doane25 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:28 pm

we did alright up north a bit. two man limit consisted of 10 green heads, and two pintail drakes. great hunt, but i wish i could have shot some honkers...
doane25
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:05 am

I can't think of a finer bag, doane... When you say up north - not trying to get any secrets out of you, promise, just wondering - you in a north part of KS in general, or out of state? I consider KC "north" and got more reports of poor hunting around here than good. I know a few that were in the right place at the right time, but in general, I think we NEED MORE DUCKS DOWN!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby doane25 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:22 am

hey puddle don't worry about stepping on anybodies toes here. we were hunting up on milford. it was about a 3/4 mile hike back into were we wanted to go, but it was really worth it. talked to the warden on the way out and he said nobody shot any birds. we just told him that they needed to scout harder.
doane25
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:25 am

Cool... I will be making a trip out that way myself at some point this season - one of my hunting buddy's grandmother lives on their, and we do a weekend every year where we'll get up, hunt the am, then roll on down to chase roosters and jump ponds around Herrington where he has permission to hunt most of that county. Used to hit Milford every once in awhile when I was aty K-State. Don;t know it well at all, relied on my buddy whenever we've hunted there...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:36 pm

whats the guys name at herington..??? i know some folks there... and im only about 25 miles from there..???
Fatweed
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:08 am

We've shot a lot of geese just around Herrington, but the real place is called Latimer. I reckon you got to be pretty local to know about Latimer, but my close friend's grandmother still has a lot of land, and the family has land throughout the area. My buddy is well rooted there, not I, couldn't drop a name if my duck season depended on it, aside from him being Kuhn, and I'm not even sure this grandmother - and his uncle out there - are even that side of the family. Just know I'll be out there several times this year, shooting roosters, chasing geese and jumping ponds.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Yeah i know latimer, and white city..and wilsey and burdick...LOL.. Got an uncle in white city,,, an aunt-inlaw in herington... dont know any kuhns tho.know some kahns ,,,,even related realllllll distant to some of them... no biggy just curious...theres some public close to herington was wonderin if it was that... nope...
Fatweed
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting