Who are these guys?!?!?!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Who are these guys?!?!?!

Postby Riverjumper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:30 am

This morning I headed out to Quivira and someone beat me to my first spot, but my second was still open. I had a sweet lil spread with about 3 doz dekes and 2 spinners. I was warm, and happy so I started to take a nap. About 7 minutes before shooting time, I was woken up by someone throwing out decoys. The hole that I was in was not big enough for two, and these guys were throwing em out about 15yds off the end of my spread! I said "excuse me! what do you guys think your doing?" Then the guy tried some sympathy....My kids didn't want to walk very far and this looks like a good spot. "Well I was here first, why dont you hike up that way a bit." They jump in the water (with no waders) grab the few decoys they threw, I noticed that there was no weight or line on them, and they were putting them back into a brand-new Flambeau box from walmart. They hiked about 40 yards north and started to set up. Again, I told them to go further. He said that they did. I said like 200 yards, he said "oh". This was all happening as gunshots could be heard throughout and birds were dumping into my spread. They were all wearing Dark green army camo, end the kids even had on blaze orange hats! Terrible way to start out the morning. They left after about two hours, and then I was able to call in a nice pair of widgeons, that was all I got cause I had lots of missed opportunites while trying to get these guys to go somewhere else. :pissed:
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:03 pm

I understand your frustration, but why not ask em to hunt with you? They obviously had no clue what they were doin and if you would have just got them to sit down with you then you wouldn't have had to miss the oppurtunties you did. Besides that everyone has to start somewhere and it's a lot easier if you've got someone that knows whats goin on and is willing to help ya a bit.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:47 pm

I know what you mean Piper, We had the same thing happen to us out at Cheney on opening day. We got out there at 3:30 in the morning and these guys supposedly made a blind right out in front of us about 100-150 yards, directly in front of where we would be shooting. We had over 100 dekes out and they still continued to set up anyway. Well we finally told them that we were in the area as they acted like they didn't see us and the guy starts to really get testy with us. He wasn't very happy at all and continued to speak his mind at us, well we were there 2 hours before they even got there. It is frustrating when things like that happen. They did end up moving, but it took a bit for him to cool down and control himself. I do know where Chris is coming from too, I had to learn pretty much on my own and it would be nice to have someone to help out or learn from, but sometimes its not even worth the trouble as it sounds like the case here.
Captain16
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:49 pm

chrispbrown27 wrote:I understand your frustration, but why not ask em to hunt with you? They obviously had no clue what they were doin and if you would have just got them to sit down with you then you wouldn't have had to miss the oppurtunties you did. Besides that everyone has to start somewhere and it's a lot easier if you've got someone that knows whats goin on and is willing to help ya a bit.
Chris

I was frustrated, but I did not show it to them. I was trying to get them to a spot where they could actually do something, and so we wouldn't shoot eachother. I know my post does not sound very nice, but I was nice to the guys.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:46 pm

Most of my experiences with morons were the kind of morons who supposedly know what they are doin. The guys that say they've been doin it for years and know it all. So, runnin into a new guy that doesn't have a clue would be refreshin compared to the know it all.
I hope my post didn't offend you, by no means was I trying to be a smart***. From the way it sounded those guys needed all the help they could get. Glad you gave em a hand.
Have a great season.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:59 am

Cheney...
Well, I'm guessing it wasn't one of us JoCo guys then!
We're off the hook this time! :salude:
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:06 am

Yep, you Joco guys seem to be getting off the hook pretty easy this year so far! :salude: Seems like all of us down in here in Southern KS get all of the great ones this year! :toofunny:
Captain16
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:37 am

off the hook .. yeah right the other day i was ... no i am j/k i have had a pretty smooth year. have had people move in close but not bad ... other than some not so hot calling that didn't help but you could tell that he was new to it ... i even hunted with him the next day and gave some tips:)
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting