Out of towners

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Out of towners

Postby Fatguy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:30 pm

Hey guys I know this is going to be a testy subject but I will ask anyway. I live in South Carolina and we get noting buy divers. Lots of divers where we hunt. Me and my friend are planning a trip to Kansas this December. We have a place to hunt the first 2 days we get there and it is on private land. After that we are going to go public. We are starting in Independience and going to head west to Hays. It just gets boring shooting Ring Necks and Blue Bills everyday. Not that im complaining but we want others. Any help would be great. :salude:
Fatguy
hunter

Postby WNGSHTR » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:53 am

I have a bunch of private, mabey we can trade hunts. What made you pick KS??
WNGSHTR
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 am

public out here can be really good too. just depends on if we get some moisture in.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 pm

:withstupid:

Moisture+Cold = GOOD.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Fatguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:41 pm

WNGSHTR. It's kinda a long story. The guy that's going with me got the connection. His dad is a dentist and one of his workers dad lives there and just recently started duck hunting. He lives in a town called Gridley. He is a farmer and has a pile of land but has never hunted it. He dosn't realy know what he is doing. We are going to have to teach him some things. We decided to pick Kansas because last year I looked at the Waterfowl report and went nuts. There is just not that kind of ducks here. We can shoot a limit of Blue Bills, Ringnecks, Buffleheads, ect. all day long everyday. It's fun don't get me wrong buy we want to try new things. Also I have a big question. Is it a law there that you have to have gone through a Hunters Education Class no matter how old you are to get a licens? Even if you are a out of towner? We don't have to have one here if you are a certain age. Any help with the laws and other stuff would be very usefel. Thanks guys. Joe
Ole Trusty Brown Dog
Fatguy
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:03 pm

check kdwp.state.ks.us for regs and such. You can even buy a lisence on the website
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby hooper911 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:38 pm

about the saftey course....my buddies came down from illinois to hunt last weekend and tey had to have the course to get a license and to hunt....i took the course in illinois when i was 12....dad made me......when i moved down here they wouldnt sell me a license without proof of the course......so to make a long story short u will need that course to get a license.unless u were born before 1957 .i think that is the year/......good luck
take em!!!!!!!!!!!!
hooper911
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:32 pm

yeah there is some year that after that you don't have to... but yeah we do have some very ncie public hunting to ... check on kdwp.state.ks.us to find out where there is some public land closest to gridley i lost my map or i would let you know if i find i will
yellow
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fatguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks for all the help and info guys. If any of you ever want to get up a trip here to South Carolina we can put you on one hell of a Diver hunt.
Ole Trusty Brown Dog
Fatguy
hunter

Postby Fatguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:29 pm

this is what you can get in South Carolina. All the Ring Necks you can shoot. Oh yea one Redhead. This was one of many days last year. The season dosn't open here till Nov. 23.
Ole Trusty Brown Dog
Fatguy
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 pm

thats a lot of Ducks!

never shot a Ring Neck, Shot many redheads though. Mallards are still my favorite, and we shoot em all season long!
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Fatguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:42 pm

well if you come here you can shoot all the ringnecks and bluebills you want. Buffle heads to.
Ole Trusty Brown Dog
Fatguy
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:55 am

bagpiper88 wrote:thats a lot of Ducks!

never shot a Ring Neck, Shot many redheads though. Mallards are still my favorite, and we shoot em all season long!
:withstupid:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting