Hevi-Shot question

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Hevi-Shot question

Postby porochi » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:25 pm

I haven't used Remington's Hevi-Shot before (I know, I'm behind the times) but am considering buying a case. Question: can I use full choke with it? My shotgun is a 12 ga. BPS w/ Invector Plus tubes. Remington's website gave ballistics stats for the shell and said it was patterned with full choke. I'm wondering though, if by full choke they really mean modified. For example, my Invector Plus modified tube is also stamped "Full-Steel."

I want non-toxic shells I can shoot through a good, old fashioned, full choke. I've been told you can using Bismuth but since it's only 25% heavier than steel, don't seem it's really worth the extra price. If I'm gonna take out a second mortgage to buy ammo that'll kill at long range, then I want the best bang for my buck.

Till now I've stuck with steel cause I couldn't bear to pay double the $ for 10 shells of the other non-toxic ammo. But these late season ducks aren't presenting those 25-30 yard shots now, and I need the extra range steel just doesn't have. Hevi-Shot, being that it's denser than lead, is probably the best value. Any advice? Thanks.
porochi
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:08 am

Or, you can just learn to call em closer and pound em with regular steel like I do.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby hooper911 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:22 pm

my hunting buddies back home were experimenting with different shots and told me about one they really liked. its not a heavy shot , just regular old steel...its called kent fast steel and runs about ten bucks a box...not being able to bring myself to drop teenty bucks for ten shells on a different brand i bought a box of 4 shot for ducks....i have decided after 20 birds with twenty five shells later that this is a great shotgun shell....maybe my shooting has improved over the course of the season but the way it knocks down birds "DEAD"...is amazing...only one cripple in that whole bunch of birds....gander mountain sells it here in wichita ...try it and let me know what u think
take em!!!!!!!!!!!!
hooper911
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting