Goose hunt with a band

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Goose hunt with a band

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm

The geese had finally moved into the area where we traditionally hunt them and they came in impressive numbers. We checked in with a farmer who has allowed us to hunt in the past and he said "Have at it ,they are all over my winter wheat field ".
The cold temps. had led us to believe that the birds weren`t going to fly till late in the morn. but a quick warm-up Fri. put the birds in the air early. We knew we were way to late getting started when we passed the lake on 69 hwy at Stanley and the birds had already flown the roost. As we drove into our primary hunting area the sky was full of lines of geese. It was definitely looking good.
The winter wheat field though snow covered had numerous patches of wheat showing and the geese definitely had salad on their menu. We quickly picked a spot where we could hopefully blend in and started putting out a spread . We should have loaded our guns first as flights of geese started cupping up and sailing into our partially assembled spread. I am confident we could have limited out in short order if we had just stopped and stood among the decoys with our guns.. The birds wanted in that bad. When we finally got set-up the truck hidden and into our blinds the main part of the morning activity was waning. We got our birds but it took longer than we anticipated. Poor timing (late arrival) and very poor shooting contributed to our extended stay. The batteries in my camera gave out a few shots into the hunt and I missed some good pics of geese in the decoys and Lizzie retrieving a huge goose, but none he less we had a terrific day in the field, got to see tons of geese ,and even shot a few . I hope you had a great hunt also.

Mike`s wife gave him these new winged decoys for Christmas. They are a sort of a hybrid cross between a goose magnet and a Jack Kite . The geese honed right in on them and were definitely attracted . They wave their wings in the slightest breeze.

Our grass panel blinds helped us blend into the background .
Mike holds up the banded goose he shot . His first band in fifteen years.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Re: Goose hunt with a band

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice hunt. We are lined up for a winter wheat field tomorrow. When I found it tonight it had 1000 birds on it which was almost all the birds off the roost. A little closer to the roost than I like, but we found 10 other fields to hunt so we are gonna hunt this one.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:07 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Nice hunt. We are lined up for a winter wheat field tomorrow

Good luck ; We are going out tomorrow also. Our buddy Cliff has a couple fields the geese have been using heavily for the past few days . These fields haven`t been hunted so we hope to give the birds a surprise.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:35 am

Nice hunt John and sweet band. I always enjoy reading about your hunts and seeing the pics.

KS_Waterfowler - i hope you guys had a great goose hunt today as well.

The geese haven't been in the fields we normally hunt so i took the weekend off...take 'em boys!

hunter

Postby jimmyash » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:30 am

john,
do you happen to know who makes those hybrid magnets? they look like something that could add some good motion in the spread. thanks,jimmy
jimmyash
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:15 am

jimmyash wrote:john,
do you happen to know who makes those hybrid magnets? they look like something that could add some good motion in the spread. thanks,jimmy

They are called a Silosock Flapping goose kite. Mike`s wife purchased them at Rogers in Liberty. Friday was the first time we had tried them out and much to our surprise we think they were an asset to our spread . All of the birds that worked us flew right up to the Flappers presenting us with 25 yrd, shots . Even with the slightest breeze they impart a level of realism with their realistic wingbeat. Mike says he is going to add 4 more for a total of 6 to the spread. From the goose side of the spread they appear as geese pedaling into the decoys looking for a place to land . Their ability to pull the geese all the way into the dead zone really appealed to me . Bringing them in close is an important part of the game. Good luck if you try them.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting