Its time again!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Its time again!

Postby elsnide » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:18 pm

Ahhhh.....after the long few weeks off its time again to load up and get at those ducks! From what I am being told there are tons of ducks in the state of KS. My father and I are going out to a lake in Central KS tomorrow. A.M. Im sure we will bag a bunch of mallards. Would love to hear how everyone does this weekend.

Good luck all! Be Safe! :thumbsup:
elsnide
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:20 pm

My predictions for me are. 5 ducks and 50000000 skybusters. Need to thin those sky busters out a little bit. There are way to many...
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:35 pm

I had shot three by 8:00 this morning. If I wouldn't have had to be somewhere by 9, I would have limited out. First pass, about 60 dropped out of the air. Three shots, three kills.
Last edited by razorbackhunter on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

discouraging numbers

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:44 pm

Barely saw a thing this morning. Still managed two geese, but just saw very little moving, ducks nor geese. Disapointing start to the much anticipated second segment. Really expected to see a few more ducks in the area, as I HAVE been the last few weeks. Very slow today...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:55 pm

I didnt get anything thanks to some skybusters. But thanks to me neither did they. lol Teach them to set up 75 yards in front of me!!!!
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:05 am

I tried that same pond this morning, and saw quite a few at first pass, but they wouldn't commit. There was a group of four that landed out of range, and I thought I had them convinced at that point, but no. They got up after about three minutes.

I'm pretty sure this was the same group that came in yesterday and I took three of their buddies. They were obviously more wary today. This is the second time this season that I have hunted the same place two days in a row with the same result. Did good on day 1 and crappy on day 2. I guess you can't pound them in the same spot on consecutive days. I'll give them a break here for a while and try again maybe Wednesday or so.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Went out to a local lake down here around Wichita, and 4 of us in the boat ended up bagging 9 mallards, 4 GWT, 4 Widgeon. Had an awesome hunt on Saturday. Went out today and only shot at 1 merganser.....Not sure why? I guess he was the only 1 I had a shot at today so I figured might as well! Had 2 wood ducks coming straight in at me and then at the last second glided out into deeper water around 100 yards beyond my decoys. So wishing to bag my first woodie! Pretty slow out today though. Going out in the morning will let everyone know how I do!
Captain16
hunter

Postby elsnide » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Hunted in central KS on Saturday. We tried a creek flowing into the main lake. When we got there we found it iced up. We decided to break a hole open and set up. After breaking the ice we discovered it was too deep to be safe for our dogs. We were afraid we would drop duck on that ice and our dogs would fall in and get stuck. After watching 4 or 5 passes go by without shooting we decided to move up the creek where it was shallow. There were tons and tons of hunters on the main lake and they were getting some shooting but not tons. from 9 to 11 we had singles and doulbes come into our decoys. My dad just watched me shoot my limit and enjoyed the show. AFter i shot my 5 drakes on 7 shots he picked up his gun. At this time the ducks started coming in one after another. My dad shot his 5 drakes in 25 minutes only taking 5 shots. These ducks were decoying so close you could have netted them. AFter our limit was done we just sat there watching group after group land right infront of us. Was truely a day to remember. My dad went back out on Monday and shot 3 ducks and then went home. These 3 ducks gave him 100 for the year and over 50 mallards. The first time he has ever gotten to 100. Doubt I'll ever reach that number. I just don't get out enough to shoot that many. I went out 12 times this year and shot around 20

One more hunt coming this Saturday. Im either going to Flint Hills or Melvern not sure yet. Ive never hunted Melvern but I would really like to scout it.
elsnide
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting