Warm weather mallards

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Warm weather mallards

Postby porochi » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:14 pm

Friend and I took off from work after lunch today (Jan. 25). Figured we'd rather spend the afternoon in a blind than in the office. Didn't expect much, it was warm, sunny, no wind. Hell, there were bugs flying around. In January. This is crazy weather. It felt like a wet september dove hunt. But we bagged our first mallard at 2:30 and ended the day with 5 mallards. Could've got a few more if we'd been better shots. There were a lot of ducks flying, more than I expected given the conditions. We saw several hundred, no lie. Seemed late season shy but managed to work a few into range. We were in Linn County.
porochi
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:14 pm

Dude don't tell people crap about where you hunt. Way to many internet scouting goes on.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:36 pm

Man, I've been driving around Linn County all day trying to find the flying bugs... :help:

KS, I have to agree, and have said as much to a couple of you in PMs; don't divulge too much info on your spots. But simply stating the County you are having success in is, IMO, part of what this is about. Sharing how we are doing in general, sharing our stories, and our successes, is probably safe at the County level!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby porochi » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:17 pm

Considering that I was hunting on my grandpa's farm what the hell difference does it make to you that I posted I saw ducks in Linn Co? Or, maybe I wasn't in Linn Co. at all. Give it a rest, and direct your advice to KDWP and their Online Waterfowl Reports. Talk about trying to plug a leaking dike with your finger...
porochi
hunter

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 am

Whoa there Porochie,

I think most of these guys are just trying to help keep you from making a common mistake. I have seen the affects of this interent thingy and it can kill a good spot real quick. Even on private... (yours might be a little different)

Don't take it personal just keep it general...

One example was Hillsdale this year. One day KDWP posted a large number of ducks that where passing through, by Friday they had not updated it and over 50 boats where hunting 10 ducks on Saturday morning... No one took the time to drive out there and scout it themselves. I did enjoy laughing at those suckers because they would have know the ducks left on Thursday. Just keep in general, we love to hear good stories. Trust me, I have met several of these guys and they are all good people who are only trying to help...
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby elsnide » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:26 am

Attention!!!! Attention!!!! 1000's of ducks at Hilldale Lake!!!!!! Go there this weekend!!!!

lmao :yes:
elsnide
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:08 pm

yeah, i saw them there too!! :laughing:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby hunter20046667 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:58 am

just not nice guys , :toofunny: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:06 pm

I went to Hillsdale and saw a coot and 2 greebs... Thanks for the false report guys. I really appriciate it. We spent 3 hours total driving, and 2 hours setting up to sit there and shoot snowflakes... I shot 3 and my buddie got 1. His was huge.
:toofunny: Just kidding guys.. I slept in this morning.. lol

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting