On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Jim, buy one of every brand then you will not offend any one on the board, LOL
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas


Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby kchusker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:18 am

I bought a Black Synthetic 3500 in August of 2012. I experienced the same issues that others have had-cycling light loads with the recoil reduction installed, loosening stock, emblem coming off stock, large obnoxious bead sight, etc. When shooting trap with 3 dram loads, the bolt will not stay open after firing about 3/4 of the time with the recoil reducer in (a cleaning probably would help). For the second time in cold December weather, the stock started to come loose. I finally bought some Red Loctite and we'll see if that does the trick. I have used mine for everything from dove hunting to goose hunting and it does always go bang when I pull the trigger unless the bolt is not allowed to slam shut, like a Benelli does. I would buy one again.
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
kchusker
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby Stoneys52 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:45 pm

The after market choke tubes for the 3500. Are they benelli Mobile or benelli super black eagle 1
Stoneys52
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: South west pa

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby Doug Hodges » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Stoneys52 wrote:The after market choke tubes for the 3500. Are they benelli Mobile or benelli super black eagle 1


Thought that was the same thing. And yes. That's the choke.
Doug Hodges
hunter
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm
Location: Mountain Home, AR

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby Stoneys52 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Alright thanks I wasn't sure if they were the same thing or not
Stoneys52
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: South west pa

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby Stoneys52 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Anyone try the kicks high flyer tube with there 3500
Stoneys52
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: South west pa

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Still grinding away with the 3500. Boom Boom Boom, and when spring gets here Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:37 am

Stoneys52 wrote:The after market choke tubes for the 3500. Are they benelli Mobile or benelli super black eagle 1

Benelli/Beretta threads.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby kjohnston1231 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Enjoyed reading your journey with the M3500. I purchased one in black two weeks ago and ran about 80 shells through it yesterday to start breaking it in. I used 3" Fiocchi, 3" Kent, 3" Black Cloud, 3 " Spectra and 3 1/2" Black cloud. Only issue I had was with one Fiocchi shell that was misshaped and the one "click" I got when I didn't let the action slam shut. At the end I ran target loads through it with no problem at all. I did take it apart before shooting it and removed all the grease - it was loaded with it, especially the magazine & spring. Looking forward to my first snow geese hunt three weeks from today!
kjohnston1231
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Glenside, PA

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby cuppedandkilled » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:23 pm

duckdozer wrote:Still grinding away with the 3500. Boom Boom Boom, and when spring gets here Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!


Approximately how many rounds do you think you've ran through yours? I have bought 2 M3000's and they've been nothing but great, too. Hundreds of rounds and NO issues whatsoever. None.
cuppedandkilled
hunter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby 1bad281 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:20 pm

After reading this thread I went out and bout the 3500. This is my first shotgun owned. The first week I owned it I shot 2 boxes of target loads without any problems and that was out of the box with no cleaning or lubing. I then cleaned it with Rem oil after those 2 boxes. I took it out hunting ducks and Canadians. I got 6 shots off with 3 inch federal T shot with no issues. I took it snow goose hunting last weekend shot some 3-1/2 T shot and it had zero issues. Thank you Duckdozer for this thread. You lead me to a great gun!
1bad281
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:41 pm

I proabably in 3 seasons have put at least 5000 rounds through it. You also have to remember that during the spring I usually run about 250 through it in 3 hard days. We have been hunting snows more around here and have shot it even more and been even harder on it this spring than in the past. Just got back from our 3 day excursion to the Mecca and we did pretty good. I took 14 boxes and brought 5 home. Granted there was some wasteful flock shooting but needless to say it went boom everytime I had it shut right. She needs a cleaning now she is dirty as hell. Just getting rteady to tear it down to the bones here in 5 minutes. If i find anything extra nasty to prove its badassness I will take a pic and post it.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Update, when tearing it down to the bones I lost a Manual Saftey Spring out of the saftey in the trigger group. I emailed Stoeger and they got back to me in less that 12 hours, they told me to call Mann & Sons (618)-357-2911 for the part, I called them they had it in stock and shipped it out today $3 spring and unfortunate $3 shipping what the guy told me. Anyway great customer support so far. I was kinda scared after reading some of the others bad mouthing the customer support.

Anyways I go her all cleaned up and shining again just missing that spring. I pulled all kinds of crud and grass and corn husk out of the reciever and the trigger group was just completely filthy. I should have taken pictures but my hands were so filthy I didnt want to handle my phone or camera. This is just another testament to how well this weapon holds up to the abuse I give it. Also there are a few on here that will back me up on this, I am not nice to this gun. When we are done hunting I toss it out of the blind on the ground, I have used it to beat cripples and break branches on trees. Again I am not nice to this gun. It is a complete beast. I am glad that my review has landed a quality weapon in a few more guys hands, I hope that oyu all have as good of a time shooting it as I have.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby m3500 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:56 pm

I've had mine for 3 years never had a real problem with always goes bang when I pull the trigger what more could u ask for.
I baby mine a lot more than you do though, but its great to here that its holding up with the abuse its given. :thumbsup:
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm
Location: Central, PA

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby TBS » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 am

Thought I would post this video for any of you that might be having a similar problem with your Stoeger. A buddy of mine was complaining that his Stoeger was jamming all the time, and it didn't matter what shells he was using. He took it to a local gunsmith, and found that the spring was binding, which caused the bolt to stick. I found this youtube video that demonstrates the problem.

For those of you having great luck with your shotgun, don't take this as an insult. I simply wish to provide some owners with information that may help them if they are having issues with cycling.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQUFnPLm5A
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 am

TBS wrote:Thought I would post this video for any of you that might be having a similar problem with your Stoeger. A buddy of mine was complaining that his Stoeger was jamming all the time, and it didn't matter what shells he was using. He took it to a local gunsmith, and found that the spring was binding, which caused the bolt to stick. I found this youtube video that demonstrates the problem.

For those of you having great luck with your shotgun, don't take this as an insult. I simply wish to provide some owners with information that may help them if they are having issues with cycling.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQUFnPLm5A


I'm wondering if your friend's gun was the M2000 like the one in the video. I have actually heard that model is nothing but trouble. I'm not sure about what the specs are of the internals of the M3500, but maybe it hasn't had problems because of a different spring? Good video by the way.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby TBS » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:52 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
TBS wrote:Thought I would post this video for any of you that might be having a similar problem with your Stoeger. A buddy of mine was complaining that his Stoeger was jamming all the time, and it didn't matter what shells he was using. He took it to a local gunsmith, and found that the spring was binding, which caused the bolt to stick. I found this youtube video that demonstrates the problem.

For those of you having great luck with your shotgun, don't take this as an insult. I simply wish to provide some owners with information that may help them if they are having issues with cycling.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQUFnPLm5A


I'm wondering if your friend's gun was the M2000 like the one in the video. I have actually heard that model is nothing but trouble. I'm not sure about what the specs are of the internals of the M3500, but maybe it hasn't had problems because of a different spring? Good video by the way.



No, his was a M3500. I don't know if the M2000 uses a different spring than the M3500, but they look similar to me. I should also mention the gunsmith had to do quite a bit of polishing on the spring and actuator due to rust and debris. The gunsmith said the main difference between the Stoeger version and the Benelli version (other than barrel chemistry, and tolerance requirements) is the location and function of the actuator spring. Apparently in Benelli semi-autos, the spring is protected within the stock and is longer/smaller in diamter, which gives it a more consistent tension within various temperature extrmes. The Stoeger places the actuator spring on the magazine tube, where it is more suseptable to the elements. No big deal, just something my buddy needs to be aware of and take the necessary precautions when the gun gets wet, or weather conditions are extreme. Neglect can eventually catch up with any semi-auto, but I don't think the Stoeger is a shotgun that a guy can shoot all season long without an occasional cleaning.....of course that probably depends on how many rounds a guy shoots during the season, and/or what type of conditions he is hunting in.

Cheers :beer:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:20 am

The design is basically the old Auto-5 design there were never any issues that werent related to user error. I think that has 100% to do with a bunch of people complaining about weapons. My gun gets cleaned once a year and that is at the end of season. I run it through the grinder, so to speak. It might get a shot of clp every now and then but I think that it can hurt more than help as well because it might break some junk loose and move it somewhere else. Thanks for the video incase someone else has this problem but if the guy had to do quite a bit of polishing and cleaning due to debris and rust sounds like a user error. I have always clelaned my guns and shot them with clp after a dunking or hunting in the rain. I have wiped them out or put them in the house to dry out after getting extremely wet, this is something every gun owner should practice if they like thier guns and want them to last. It doenst matter what brand of gun you are shooting metal exposed to water and oxygen rusts. It is simple science. That probably is the case with your buddies gun by the way it sounds. Again thanks for the video though.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:25 am

The gun in the video sounds REALLY REALLY DRY!!!

EDIT:------After watching that video it made me want to choke that idiot out, he needs to properly lube his gun. That was the dryest sounding shotgun I have ever heard. I bet with proper lubrication that spring doesnt bind and the weapon cycles just fine. USER ERROR also it is the dreaded m2000 not the m3500 which is what this thread/review is about. If that spring is lubed and it pops back like he claims it would have less friction to slide back in place. Simple science.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby TBS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 am

duckdozer wrote:The design is basically the old Auto-5 design there were never any issues that werent related to user error. I think that has 100% to do with a bunch of people complaining about weapons. My gun gets cleaned once a year and that is at the end of season. I run it through the grinder, so to speak. It might get a shot of clp every now and then but I think that it can hurt more than help as well because it might break some junk loose and move it somewhere else. Thanks for the video incase someone else has this problem but if the guy had to do quite a bit of polishing and cleaning due to debris and rust sounds like a user error. I have always clelaned my guns and shot them with clp after a dunking or hunting in the rain. I have wiped them out or put them in the house to dry out after getting extremely wet, this is something every gun owner should practice if they like thier guns and want them to last. It doenst matter what brand of gun you are shooting metal exposed to water and oxygen rusts. It is simple science. That probably is the case with your buddies gun by the way it sounds. Again thanks for the video though.


Believe me, today's inertia driven semi-autos are a big step above the Browning A5 design with regards to reliability and cycling dependability in harsh environments. And, that includes the M3500. Lets face it, most semi-auto shotguns these days will fire a majority of the time when properly maintained. For some guys, "properly maintained" means cleaning and oiling regularly, and for others it means once a year whether the gun needs it or not! My buddy might be considered as being in the latter category. :lol3:

I'd estimate that the M3500 is probably more reliable than the majority of gas operated autos out there, especially on the really cold and wet days. However, I also believe it won't handle the same amount of abuse as the Benelli simply due to design.

The reason I feel that way is when all this occurred, we had been hunting from layout blinds for 3 straight days in a muddy field. All of our guns were basically covered in mud by the 3rd day, and my buddy was having trouble with his M3500 not cycling. His gun wasn't any more filthy than the rest of ours, and the 3 other Benelli's in the field never missed a lick. After getting his M3500 back from the gunsmith, and explaining the problem with the debris and spring binding I realized the difference in design between the 2 guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Stoeger is a bad design, it works a vast majority of the time, and Benelli's can jam too. I just think it is something guys should be aware of, and if they have cycling problems I hope this information will be helpful to them in getting it fixed and working properly again.

:beer:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby TBS » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 am

duckdozer wrote:The gun in the video sounds REALLY REALLY DRY!!!

EDIT:------After watching that video it made me want to choke that idiot out, he needs to properly lube his gun. That was the dryest sounding shotgun I have ever heard. I bet with proper lubrication that spring doesnt bind and the weapon cycles just fine. USER ERROR also it is the dreaded m2000 not the m3500 which is what this thread/review is about. If that spring is lubed and it pops back like he claims it would have less friction to slide back in place. Simple science.


According to both Benelli and Stoeger CS, these firearms should have very minimal lubricant on them. Especially with the tighter tolerances of the Benelli. I personally don't think being dry is what caused the spring to bind on itself. Even if the bolt was lacking in lube, and the friction was increased as the gun was fired, how do you figure that caused the spring to bind on itself after several rounds? Remember it worked for multiple shots before finally binding. Either way, when the guy got his gun back from Stoeger, they didn't lube it and send it back, they fixed the spring problem by filing it down. No offense intended here, but simply adding lubricant wouldn't have fixed this issue, as was mentioned multiple times in the video.

I'm not wanting to get into an argument on your thread. You really enjoy your M3500 and are obviously beyond satisfied with its performance. However, you tend to get a bit defensive when someone makes a comment about the gun that is less than 100% positive. That's fine, there are many brand loyal people out there. But, please don't go choking people out because they are less satisfied with the Stoeger than you.

We all have opinions and they will vary from person to person. I honestly think the Stoeger is a great value for the price tag. Anyone wanting a quality semi-auto shotgun that doesn't want to drop the cash on a high end gun will likely be pleased with the M3500.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:34 am

TBS wrote:
duckdozer wrote:The gun in the video sounds REALLY REALLY DRY!!!

EDIT:------After watching that video it made me want to choke that idiot out, he needs to properly lube his gun. That was the dryest sounding shotgun I have ever heard. I bet with proper lubrication that spring doesnt bind and the weapon cycles just fine. USER ERROR also it is the dreaded m2000 not the m3500 which is what this thread/review is about. If that spring is lubed and it pops back like he claims it would have less friction to slide back in place. Simple science.


According to both Benelli and Stoeger CS, these firearms should have very minimal lubricant on them. Especially with the tighter tolerances of the Benelli. I personally don't think being dry is what caused the spring to bind on itself. Even if the bolt was lacking in lube, and the friction was increased as the gun was fired, how do you figure that caused the spring to bind on itself after several rounds? Remember it worked for multiple shots before finally binding. Either way, when the guy got his gun back from Stoeger, they didn't lube it and send it back, they fixed the spring problem by filing it down. No offense intended here, but simply adding lubricant wouldn't have fixed this issue, as was mentioned multiple times in the video.

I'm not wanting to get into an argument on your thread. You really enjoy your M3500 and are obviously beyond satisfied with its performance. However, you tend to get a bit defensive when someone makes a comment about the gun that is less than 100% positive. That's fine, there are many brand loyal people out there. But, please don't go choking people out because they are less satisfied with the Stoeger than you.

We all have opinions and they will vary from person to person. I honestly think the Stoeger is a great value for the price tag. Anyone wanting a quality semi-auto shotgun that doesn't want to drop the cash on a high end gun will likely be pleased with the M3500.


My reasonong for gettting defensive about this is, the video, it isnt even the same gun. I run my gun highly lubricated because I know what a dry weapon in the grit and grime will do. All of my weapons get the clp spray. Probably way more than manufactureers suggest and I have never had an issue that was related to that. Thanks for your opinion on the weapon.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:17 am

LOL it's almost like having a conversation on who your internet service provider is or who your cell phone company is. We will defend our decision to the death! I don't think you were looking for a fight or argument with your posts. Interesting things you've posted about Benellis and the Stoegers. Hopefully I won't drop my gun in the mud and have it caked in grime and what not. I maintain my firearms constantly so that it will not jam or misfire when I take a shot at geese or a flock of ducks. $600 was a lot of money for me to spend on a gun so I will treat this one a little better. It doesn't surprise me certain guns work after being caked in mud and some don't. I don't really need that feature. If someone talks another out of purchasing this gun, so be it. I have a good one! :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby nnorem7618 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 am

Last week I decided to buy myself an m3500, after reading this thread. It is my first semi auto, and it swings great and it shoots straight. When it decides to shoot, that is. The night I bought it, I brought it home, disassembled it, and gave it a thorough cleaning, removing all of the excess packing grease. I decided not to put the recoil reducer in it. The next day, I went out to the range with a buddy of mine to shoot a fee rounds of sporting clays. When I got there, my buddy had already gotten the ammo, 1 Oz. I decided I'd just go see how those work through it and if they were too light to auto load the following rounds, I'd go pick up some heavier loads. So, we start out, and I shoot the first 5 rounds out of it. Flawless. No problems. Load another 4 rounds, pull, and click. No shot. I eject the round in the chamber, and load another one. Click. After the second time, it was working again. After the first box, it started failing to load. I go on shooting the rest of the ammo we had left just to see if it was a problem of needing to be broken in. We shoot all 5 boxes, and it hasn't resolved itself. So I decide to go get some 1 1/8 (heaviest allowed at this range). I buy three boxes. Same thing. Failing to load, ejected shells getting caught as the bolt comes forward. This being my first auto loader, I hadn't the slightest idea of how to trouble shoot these problems. Just when were about to call it a day, starting the final box, it decides to begin auto loading again. At this point it was too late in the day to continue shooting, so I am waiting for an opportunity to go again this week to see if the problem has been resolved.
I'll update yall after shooting it a few more times.
nnorem7618
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 am

nnorem7618 wrote:Last week I decided to buy myself an m3500, after reading this thread. It is my first semi auto, and it swings great and it shoots straight. When it decides to shoot, that is. The night I bought it, I brought it home, disassembled it, and gave it a thorough cleaning, removing all of the excess packing grease. I decided not to put the recoil reducer in it. The next day, I went out to the range with a buddy of mine to shoot a fee rounds of sporting clays. When I got there, my buddy had already gotten the ammo, 1 Oz. I decided I'd just go see how those work through it and if they were too light to auto load the following rounds, I'd go pick up some heavier loads. So, we start out, and I shoot the first 5 rounds out of it. Flawless. No problems. Load another 4 rounds, pull, and click. No shot. I eject the round in the chamber, and load another one. Click. After the second time, it was working again. After the first box, it started failing to load. I go on shooting the rest of the ammo we had left just to see if it was a problem of needing to be broken in. We shoot all 5 boxes, and it hasn't resolved itself. So I decide to go get some 1 1/8 (heaviest allowed at this range). I buy three boxes. Same thing. Failing to load, ejected shells getting caught as the bolt comes forward. This being my first auto loader, I hadn't the slightest idea of how to trouble shoot these problems. Just when were about to call it a day, starting the final box, it decides to begin auto loading again. At this point it was too late in the day to continue shooting, so I am waiting for an opportunity to go again this week to see if the problem has been resolved.
I'll update yall after shooting it a few more times.



All of that sounds like an ammo issue to me, 1oz loads are not reccomended so that is out the window. I bet the 1.125 loads were swelling a little causing a little more effort formt eh gun to eject the shell thus not getting out of the chamber fast enough. What lube did you use? Shoot some faster duck loads out of it even the 2.75 steel loads, I bet it handles them no problem.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: FEMA Region 7

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests