On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby nnorem7618 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm

I went out for two more rounds yesterday, shooting only 1.125, and it shot almost flawlessly, but it still failed to load the next shell a few times. I have to say, this gun is so easy/natural to shoot. I shot way better than I ever had shooting clays before. I use Hoppes no. 9 for lube.
nnorem7618
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 am

So you havent tried a 3" yet? try running a few of them through it maybe its just stiff. IDK, never had that issue. When I got mine I shot 3.5" through it first thing so maybe that has a little to do with it.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 pm

I'm new to this party, but I've been reading this blog for a while

I just bought a used 3500 last month, it came with everything except the original box and the magazine plug. The 4 chokes it comes with now are full, modified, turkey and in the barrel is IC - no skeet choke these days. I was interested in the magazine capacity since I figured it couldn't just be a constant 4 shells of any size so I found the magazine will hold 3 3½", 4 3", and 5 2¾".
I also tried some 2" low pressure shell (Polywad Vintagers) that held .8 oz of shot - these low pressure shells will cycle the action, but when I loaded one in the magazine behind a 2 ¾", it jammed because 2 shells came out of the magazine onto the whachamacallit that lifts the next shell to be pushed into the chamber. Not a problem because I was never going to shoot these, I just wanted to see what they would do.

So I got this gun for $500 and the guy said he had only shot it twice, I've been shooting it a couple of times a week and it shoots so well that it makes me think I may have a future in clay shooting. I got the 28" barrell because of a recommendation of a range instructor, but I decided to get the cheaper Stoeger instead of the Beretta or Benelli that he recommended.

The gun was uncleaned when I bought it and it remains that way. I'm pretty OCD/anal about cleaning a firearm as soon as I get home from shooting it, but most of my other guns only get shot once every couple of years so they get cleaned and put away. This shotgun is getting fired a couple of times a week and pretty much lives in my car trunk. Also the fact that it is a plain Jane all black cheap appearing gun helps me put it in its case dirty and forget about it. If it had a beautiful wood stock and a gorgeous blued barrel, I might not be able to abuse it like this. Also if i had paid a grand more for the gun I would probably feel an obligation to take better care of it, so I am extremely happy with with a cheap gun that has cycled every load I put through it and hit more clays that I thought I was capable of.
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:00 pm

So the gun performed flawlessly until I bought some Winchester Super X game loads. They will throw back the action but not come out of the barrel. The gun is essentially a single shot with these shells. I have tried firing the gun with one shell chambered and nothing in the magazine so that after firing the bolt is in the locked back position. Sometimes, if I'm aiming at a high target the shell will get ejected, but usually it is completely in the chamber or only comes partially out. The interesting thing is that if I let the bolt close on the spent shell and then pull it back manually it ejects just fine - can't figure that one out! I switched ammo and it works perfect with Federal and Estate and Winchester AAs. in the middle of all this, I took the gun apart and did a really good cleaning job on it, but that didn't change anything. For now I will use these Super X shells as the 2nd shell when I shoot clays until I use them up and avoid buying anymore. I knew that some guns have shell preferences on what they will shoot and what they won't, but I was hoping that this gun wouldn't be finicky. Oh well, I really can't complain since it does so well with the other stuff I've fed it. I plan to get a couple of boxes of Remington Gun Club and see how that works as that is the preferred ammo at another trap range I am going to.
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I will keep posting here since this is the thread that convinced me to take a chance on this great gun.
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 pm

I bet you are not shouldering the gun properly, I have been jacking around with target shooting and noticed that hip shooting light loads it will not eject them all the time, sometimes I get in a hurry when dove hunting and it happens. This is not the guns fault. That is how inertia works, if there is nothing to push back against it wont work. Or they are swelling then cooling thus explaining the ablility to eject them maunally. Not sure with out seeing it in person. Break it in with some duck and goose loads. Also you might check the chamber for any burrs. I didnt have any and mine seems really well polished there might just be a tiny little spot hanging them up.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:21 pm

and oh yea please keep on posting, I am reading!!!!! :beer:
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:39 pm

dozer- thanks for the reply.
I'm gonna go with the swelling then cooling explanation. I know I'm shouldering the gun right and I have tied at least 20 different shell types and brands, and only the Super-X give me a problem. I did a really good job of cleaning the gun and I plan to polish the chamber soon. I notice that these shells have a very small brass, only coming up less than 1/4 inch onto the plastic hull so I think the plastic is swelling under pressure when the gun action cycles. I bought 7½ and 8 shot, 1oz, 1290 ft/sec (which seems to be 3¼ dram equivalent), and it fails with both of them. Anyway, I am extremely happy with the gun and it functions near flawlessly with all other ammo types including low weight 1 oz loads, so my simple minded solution is just not to buy any more Super-X ammo.

I'm pretty new to the shotgun world and I'm having a great time learning to shoot clays which is a lot more fun than punching holes in paper with a pistol.
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:31 pm

OK - problem solved
I just finished shooting up all the Super-X that wouldn't eject - lot of single shots and a even more as follow up shots with other shells as the 1st shot, but they're all gone and I just won't buy any more!!

I really like the gun and now I just have to find some buds that will take me duck hunting.
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 pm

hey dozer, just for kicks, how about you pick up a box of Super-X and see what they do in your gun? I'd like to know if its just my gun or if they hang up in everyone's 3500

then again, it may have just been a bad batch - I'll never know as I will never try them again,

or maybe I will in a year
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Eillil » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm

I have a question for you Dozer...i bought my 3500 about a month ago...ive ran about 4 boxes of heavy nitro steel 3 inch and 3 inch heavy turkey lead...and about 125 rounds or so of cheapo federal value pack from walmart...love the gun...my question is this...the locking head pin that holds the locking head into the bolt on mine is very loose...if i turn it to the side and push the locking head in the pin will fall right out...is this normal or did i lose a piece the first time i cleaned it? it sometimes prevents the bolt from coming back and i have to literally turn the gun to the side and bump the side of it to make it go back all the way in...i dont remember the first time i took it out it being that loose but it sure is now...
Eillil
Newb

Postby Roger Annabel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby Eillil » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 am

Roger Annabel wrote:see: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=226885

Thanks...looks like ill be restaking it and just cleaning it with brake clean from now on...good thing i can get the firing pin out from the back to clean and inspect it...again...thanks for the post link...
Eillil
Newb

Postby Roger Annabel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I patterned the gun a while back and it seemed to shoot low & left. I wanted to try changing the shim between the stock and the gun. It seems that if you are sighting down the barrel changing how the stock fits wouldn't matter, but it obviously does. Its a little bit of a pain to change the shim and I couldn't find any info online about what shim to go to, so I had to figure it out myself, but the new pattern seems dead on and I shot clays better so it worked out well.

The first thing is removing the buttplate, the 2 screws holding it on almost stripped but I got it done and I think I could do it one more time before I would have to replace them. Getting the nut off the bolt that holds the stock on was a bear, but a 5/8" deep socket on a long extension got it done and the stock came off easy. Actually changing the shim was pretty simple but putting it back together with the washers and nut onto the bolt was a real pain. No easy instructions here, you'll just have to work with it.

This is what I reasoned out (and the patterning seems to confirm it). To raise the point of impact you need to put a thicker shim on the bottom and to lower it you need to go to a thinner shim. All the thickness seems to be at the bottom of the shim so that's how you do it. The shims are numbered and I think the number refers to "drop" so a larger number will bring the POI down whereas a lower number will raise it. The same logic applies to the windage. If you put the thicker part on the left, the POI will move right and vice versa. The shims have an "R" on one side and a "L" on the other. If you put the shim onto the gun action with the "R" facing you and then put the stock onto the shim, the POI will move to the right, and "L" facing rearward will move it left.

I hate figuring stuff out for myself and not being sure if it will work, but it really turned out nice so I am super happy.

I hope this helps some one else that wants to move their point of impact.

another thought... I would hate to do this on a Benelli where the return spring, etc is in the stock, in this way the Stoeger seems superior. Just easier to do cleaning and maintenance on the return spring and action bar.
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:32 am

I have a 3500. This will be my fourth season with it. I shoot about 1,000 shells a season. Last year was just under 1,500. I clean it almost every other week and maybe once a week. Had about 3-5 jams since new. Parts are worn down and it runs smooth. Took the factory sight off and changed that. I am going to Cerakote it before this season. The rust is starting on it, but I am not concerned. Internals are ready to go every hunt and corrosion free.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:38 pm

good to hear that, killer. my problems have cleared up since I finished the Super-X ammo - it seems to love everything else

whats that Cerakote cost?
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Oven cured by a professional $200. Air cured and doing it myself $35. Haven't decided yet. I don't need it to look pretty. Just functional.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 am

seems almost like overkill to spend $200 on a facelift for a $600 gun
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:52 pm

It does. But, I need functionality over cosmetics.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm

check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SZjTCHZio at 2:20
the bolt doesn't slam closed and stay, it bounces a couple of times
I found in interesting, hope to hear from someone
Roger Annabel
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I had a quick opening hunt on Saturday with my M3500 and shot 9 times (3 inch #2 xperts). My shoulder still hurts and is still pretty bruised. Can anyone point me in the right direction of which slip on limbsaver I'm needing to buy? I guess I didn't realize how much these kicked. I even have the recoil reducer in.

By the way, I have a Carlson long range choke in, and it patterns pretty dang tight.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:39 pm

I don't notice the recoil shooting ducks. But, after all, it is an inertia driven gun.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:47 pm

You may want to look at shims too. My monte is inertia and lighter and I can't even feel the recoil shooting ducks.
uglymug
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 am

KillerKowalski wrote:I don't notice the recoil shooting ducks. But, after all, it is an inertia driven gun.

I honestly didn't mind the kick at all when I was out hunting. It shoots smooth. But when I got home, I had a bruise and my shoulder hurt. :crying:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 am

It will kick but nothing significant with a 3". I tore my shooting rotator cuff last season and shot 3.5" the last three weeks not knowing it was tore. I paid the price for it and that is the only time I realize the mule it is sometimes.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Roger Annabel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:14 pm

both Browning and Beretta make vests with gel inserts that really absorb the impact and you can double up on the inserts
try shooting your actual hunting loads at a range to get things right

On another point, I took my bolt apart and sure enough, the locking head retaining pin freely falls out, but there is no way it can do anything when the bolt is in the receiver. Is it possible that they changed the design? I figure my gun was manufactured just last year.
Roger Annabel
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting