On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby mudpack » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Glad the gun is performing for you so far.
Get back to us in about 5 years............................

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:57 am

duckdozer wrote:Ok guys I recieved another pm about this gun about the 10th since season started, and my reply is below.

??????? wrote:hey man how goes it i have just read the post about your 3500 and was just curious how its shooting in the colder weahter and if it is still shooting good im looking into buying one for waterfowling in Utah and it gets snowy and cold here also how does it shoot trap and skeet

I dont really use it on the range, mainly because I dont shoot skeet, but I have put over 3 cases of hunting loads, mainly Winchester 3.5 bb, through it to date. So far it hasnt been too cold yet, no snow to accumulate yet. BUt we have had days of 20 degree weather tho while out hunting. It has yet to fail me. I have dunked it times in the marsh and ponds, I have only cleaned it once. No malfunctions. It has been used as a paddle and to thump cripples when they are trying to swim away. Needless to say I love it, I also like my Charles Daly maxi-mag pump it has been through hell and back 4 seasons now no issues with it either. I would reccomend the stoeger because it is still in production. And a heads up if you hunt snows it has the same threads as a Beretta Extrema II, I am not sure how tight it gets as I can make a shim but I checked to see if the threads were the same and they are. No need to get an aftermarket choke the cheap winchester experts pattern nicely in the mod #2's and BB. I shoot the 3.5" 1 1/4oz @ 1625fps and get great patterns. I havent put it on paper but when water swatting, someone elses, cripples it is TIGHT!!!!

GET ONE!!!!

Not be an ass or anything but you have already shot 750 rounds of 3.5"bb this hunting season. Jesus, you are either tearing up the birds, or are a really poor shot, in which case I recommend the Benelli SBE 2.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:52 pm

rmb79 wrote:
duckdozer wrote:Ok guys I recieved another pm about this gun about the 10th since season started, and my reply is below.

??????? wrote:hey man how goes it i have just read the post about your 3500 and was just curious how its shooting in the colder weahter and if it is still shooting good im looking into buying one for waterfowling in Utah and it gets snowy and cold here also how does it shoot trap and skeet

I dont really use it on the range, mainly because I dont shoot skeet, but I have put over 3 cases of hunting loads, mainly Winchester 3.5 bb, through it to date. So far it hasnt been too cold yet, no snow to accumulate yet. BUt we have had days of 20 degree weather tho while out hunting. It has yet to fail me. I have dunked it times in the marsh and ponds, I have only cleaned it once. No malfunctions. It has been used as a paddle and to thump cripples when they are trying to swim away. Needless to say I love it, I also like my Charles Daly maxi-mag pump it has been through hell and back 4 seasons now no issues with it either. I would reccomend the stoeger because it is still in production. And a heads up if you hunt snows it has the same threads as a Beretta Extrema II, I am not sure how tight it gets as I can make a shim but I checked to see if the threads were the same and they are. No need to get an aftermarket choke the cheap winchester experts pattern nicely in the mod #2's and BB. I shoot the 3.5" 1 1/4oz @ 1625fps and get great patterns. I havent put it on paper but when water swatting, someone elses, cripples it is TIGHT!!!!

GET ONE!!!!

Not be an ass or anything but you have already shot 750 rounds of 3.5"bb this hunting season. Jesus, you are either tearing up the birds, or are a really poor shot, in which case I recommend the Benelli SBE 2.

I shot a case breaking it in and getting ready for season, and we pounded the tar out of the Doves, we have been hammering the birds and I was wrong I just broke into my 3rd case so I mispoke. We have been hunting with Chad belding, we would be shooting more birds but he cant seem to turn down the music when the birds start working us.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Goosegetter50 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:32 pm

No need to explain yourself dozer rmb79 is a perfect example of whats wrong with this site calling people liars and dont have a clue how much you shoot. The way I see it you are just trying to help people out and you got people calling you a liar. Keep the reports coming thinking about buying one myself.
Goosegetter50
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:33 pm

I am pretty sure that there was 100% sarcasm in rmb's post but I thought I would correct myself on what I had posted.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 am

duckdozer wrote:I am pretty sure that there was 100% sarcasm in rmb's post but I thought I would correct myself on what I had posted.

Winner Winner. Love the Belding reference. Did you slash his tires before of after you set up the spread?

rmb79
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Man if I even see a sticker rig in the area I will be at least cutting valve stems, last yr we got colon holed by a Z-UNIT/Avery Staffer because some little kid thought that he would run his mouth and tell them we had birds. RMB if you come this way leave your sticker rig at home or warn me so I dont get all excited about getting to use the FFD Slasher kit.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 am

No stickers on my rig.......yet

rmb79
hunter

Postby MPLSretriever10 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Did you actually order a magazine extension tube for your gun and make sure it fits? I am looking to get one for snows this spring and my gun is actually back at stoeger right now getting a warranty covered fix (where the butt stick connects the receiver the 2 plastic pins broke so the butt stock just spins) and I am wanting to order an extension now but I am not sure when my gun will be back to make sure its the right fit. Thanks for the info!
MPLSretriever10
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Not yet but I will be ordering one soon the threads are the same threads as an extremaand the nova , I found a +6 is the most that I can put on it with the ext range patternmaster.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Ps. Put a lot more rounds through it here lately, the only issue I have had was the recoil reducer came loose and needed to be tightened, simple fix non-issue if you ask me.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby MPLSretriever10 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Sweet thanks for the help/info man.. much appreciated. I had the same issue with the recoil reducer, but put a little loctite on it and it has been great. I have also shot a lot of the 1 1/8 oz estate target loads with the recoil reducer in and had no problems with cycling (like I have heard others have). Its been a solid gun so far besides the stock issue.. hopefully get it back soon to break it in more before going after snows in March.
MPLSretriever10
Newb

Postby mcxstar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Have the 3500. Love everything about it but it needs an oversized saftey. Does anyone know if the make one? I called a few places and they don't have one yet.
mcxstar
hunter

Postby puddlejumpin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm

kinda wondering why you need the recoil reducer the gun doesnt have that much recoil without it shooting same loads or bigger
puddlejumpin
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:34 pm

if you shoot turkey loads out of it with and without the recoil reducer you will realize that you want the recoil reducer. at least I did so I just left mine in and it seems to operate just the same with and without it for light load and goose loads.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby MPLSretriever10 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 pm

I would say overall balance of the gun is a major factor with the recoil reducer as well. The gun seems to be a little front heavy without it but once the recoil reducer is in everything seems to even out nicely (I actually don't mind recoil, lets you know you are shooting a gun and adds to the thrill IMO). I think its good to have it in at all times anyway because who wants to unscrew the shoulder pad and then screw/unscrew the reducer in or out when changing loads??
MPLSretriever10
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 am

Guys I bought the 7shot tube from carlsons I didnt put thier follower in because it looked like it might keep 1 shell from being allowed in the tube. Total with one in the chamber and floating one I get 9 3" shells. Like when I bought the one for my Charles Daly (remington threads) I had to make a schim out of a 3/4" pvc coupler I cut about 3/16ths off and used that small piece in between the mag tube nut and the barrell lug and tightened the mag tube nut down. Of course I painted it to kinda camo it up to match my gun, I also put my own little mark on it as well.

IMAG0197.jpg

Here are both of my guns ready to go, with the 2 of them I have 18 rounds at my disposal.

IMAG0198.jpg
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Scotty64 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 am

On the reviews, GOOD JOB. I recently purchased one since I was fairly new to hunting and did not have a crap load of money to spend. I had shot my buddies X2 which was a very nice shotgun. I bought the M3500 because it was very much like shouldering the X2 in my opinion. I have ran 2 cases of shells through my (all 3 1/2) not one flaw in the gun other than the recoil reducer coming loose. It was easy to fix, just tighten it.
I agree maybe the gun may not be prefect in 5 yrs as the other post suggested, however for the moneyn Scannot beat it. I am not comfortable with pumps and like the autos. I bought the kicks high flyer for mine and will not birds down with the best of the expensive guns. Snow geese drop like rain with this gun at 40-50 yrds.
I guess like anything there are people out there that think if it is not expensive it is not worth the money. I like the gun and that is all the matters. I would suggest the gun to anyone!!! :thumbsup:
Scotty64
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 am

Just got back from my snow goose trip, ran 6 boxes through it mostly at 9 rounds at a time, tried to melt the barrel twice but it held up. If I was firing one shot I was firing all 9, I didnt buy my case to bring it back home! It handled flawlessly, never got loose never jammed, never didnt go BOOM! After 1 season of my ridiculous abuse I would say that I have a keeper. Time to clean her out this weekend.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:31 am

duckdozer wrote:If I was firing one shot I was firing all 9, I didnt buy my case to bring it back home!

Yes you did. LOL!! Made me laugh every time.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby MPLSretriever10 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 pm

I also just got back from my snow goose hunt. I had no cycling issues running 8 shots through it at a time.. in fact they cycled very quickly and smooth. I did run into one major issue twice that concerns me. On 2 separate occasions (big flocks of snows) the first shot went click.. not Bang like it should. I had to rack the new shell in and go from there (very frustrating with 100 snows in your face). The first time I thought it was something I did or just the shell didnt fire.. but I tried different shells and did everything correctly and ran into the same problem once more. I am not sure how I feel about the gun yet.. but I have had it since December and if I have to send it for a 2nd warranty fix in 3 months I won't be too thrilled. Just something for those interested to keep in mind I suppose.
MPLSretriever10
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:03 pm

MPLSretriever10 wrote:I also just got back from my snow goose hunt. I had no cycling issues running 8 shots through it at a time.. in fact they cycled very quickly and smooth. I did run into one major issue twice that concerns me. On 2 separate occasions (big flocks of snows) the first shot went click.. not Bang like it should. I had to rack the new shell in and go from there (very frustrating with 100 snows in your face). The first time I thought it was something I did or just the shell didnt fire.. but I tried different shells and did everything correctly and ran into the same problem once more. I am not sure how I feel about the gun yet.. but I have had it since December and if I have to send it for a 2nd warranty fix in 3 months I won't be too thrilled. Just something for those interested to keep in mind I suppose.

I experienced this a few times through out the year and chalked it up to me not alowing the chamber to slam shut when messing around with it. you might make sure that when you do you slam it forward, the same problems with the original SBE.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Scotty64 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm

OK, I thought I was the only one who had this happen. I talked to my Buddy who I hunt with and he has an SBE and he told me he has had the same problem IF HE DOES NOT ALLOW THE SLIDE TO SLAM SHUT. I have found that me trying to let it slide softly not to make noise or something has created the problem not the gun. I originally thought I had a misfire but realized it was me after the second time. I have never had this happen again. :smile:
Scotty64
hunter

Postby BH55 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 am

So after reading all the post I think it is safe to say that this is a good gun...I am looking seriously for something that is not as punishing as my Nova. I dont want to spend the money for a highend gun that I only get to use once or twice a year and I don't know many people that have the 3500. I had a question for the hunting experts out there. Do all 3500's have the recoil reduction or is it optional?
BH55
Newb

Re: Re: On going review and death test of a Stoeger m3500

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:03 am

BH55 wrote:So after reading all the post I think it is safe to say that this is a good gun...I am looking seriously for something that is not as punishing as my Nova. I dont want to spend the money for a highend gun that I only get to use once or twice a year and I don't know many people that have the 3500. I had a question for the hunting experts out there. Do all 3500's have the recoil reduction or is it optional?

They come with one but be sure to locktite it when you put it on, or use a locking washer the one that comes with it doesn't work that well. Its really nothing than a large chunk of metal to add weight but it works well.
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting