How did everyone end up finishing the season?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

How did everyone end up finishing the season?

Postby Captain16 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:09 am

Saturday took the boat out and what a foggy morning. 3 of us right at sunrise, or I should say some light couldn't keep the birds away. We pretty much had non-stop bird action from light-12:30 or so. We ended up with 11. It was definately a hunt I will not soon forget. Even got to see my first pintails when a flock of about 10 birds came right into our decoys, pretty neat birds. Wish it would have been open season on them. They actually stayed there for around a minute or so. Went out yesterday and shot 5 shells ended up with a fat 0! :pissed: All the ducks we saw were hightailing it out up high. I guess we got them on Saturday so it was worth it. Hope everyone else ended up wrapping up the season well. Look forward to hopefully being able to meet more of you next season for some hunting. Thanks to the guys on here I did get to hunt with, it was a great season. Now we should be planning a big fishing get together or something? Everyone keep the topics coming on the state board. Only how many more months till next season? :salude: :salude: :salude:
Last edited by Captain16 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain16
hunter

Postby hunter20046667 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:51 am

went out friday morning to the marais des cygnes wild life area ,saw lots of birds flying but thats about it ,the wind never did calm down .could hav shot a hen that came in first thing in the morning but let her go on by. stayed out there all day and had an enjoyable hunt but came home empty handed .forgot to turn in my report card so went back on saterday afternoon ,samething birds flying high ,skybusters doing thier thing . didnt hunt last day ,to sick to get out of bed ,got what ever the latest creeping crud is that is going around from my daughter ,from school .but i am already making plans for next season ,how many months away ? lol
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:44 am

I let the ducks go for the rest of the season. Gotta get my turkey, get my new boat ready to go, and mess up some spring snows.
Last edited by ks_waterfowler on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby takem7 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:09 pm

shot a limit of honks sunday we also killed 5 ducks 2 guys it waas pretty fun
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Postby porochi » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Big zero for sunday. Ducks started showing up at 5:40 pm. Lots of em. They got it figured out. Did see a pintail drake swimming around, crippled. Someone can't id their ducks apparently. I'd have put him out of his misery if he'd been a bit closer.

Overall, pretty good season. Now I gotta figure out ways to cook all these ducks so the kids will eat em. Only one who will eat em is the one-year old but she's been known to steal and eat the doggie treats too, so I don't think it's my cooking skills that has her eating duck...
porochi
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:23 pm

If you need some recipes let me know and I will pm you some
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

not too bad

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:45 am

Sat was a little odd, as we've seen nearly nothign BUT mallards for sometime. Saturday in the rain was suicidal gadwall day. Think we (SpringHill Duckman and I - and the "we" also makes it sound like I helped some) had 7 gadwall in the first 20-25 minutes, with no two coming from the same bunch. Just singles or doubles, racing in and out. I was in the water fetching, trying to catch them as he dropped em... shot a couple divers later as well.

Oddly, NO geese until pretty late, and no geese at ALL Sun. But Sunday was the mallard day we were looking for.

Had some really nice, big bunches working our little slough, sunlight smacking green heads all morning long. had a fun spread, great working birds, perect finish to the duck season. And we managed to whack a few, as always, should been a few more, but hitting 'em all wouldnlt be any fun... would it? Time to get a few geese now, and then it's all fins for awhile!

KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:11 am

Congrats to you guys on the great looking birds. Yeah, saturday was quite a different day for us as well. Seeing mostly mallards the days previous and then on Sat all the widgeons, buffleheads, few mallards were flying. I know the feeling, we had birds dropping on us as well while I am out trying to pic up our previous kills. Had quite a few singles and doubles as well. Think our biggest group was maybe 10 birds. Definately a great day that's for sure!
Captain16
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting