Wood Duck Season

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Wood Duck Season

Postby DanJeffandJack » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 pm

What is the KS forums' opinion on adding wood ducks to the early teal season at the expense of number of days in the season to comply with federal regs?

I am undecided personally and have lived in places with joint teal/wood duck season as well as teal only. What do y'all think? Any strong persuasion either way?
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Re: Wood Duck Season

Postby sself » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

It would not be worth sacrificing regular season days, to me, anyway.
sself
hunter

Postby jimmyash » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:58 pm

wouldn't mind it at all for a few reasons! Ive never really had great success on ducks after the split. It would also eliminate confusion of woodies during teal season on those really foggy days. There seem to be a fair amount of wood ducks here early on with the teal. That being said i would still want woodies' limit to be 2 at most to try to keep the local wood duck populations steady.
jimmyash
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:54 am

Would love to add woodies to teal sason but not at the expense of loosing days later.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:56 am

sself wrote:It would not be worth sacrificing regular season days, to me, anyway.

X 2 Teal and woodies look and fly diffrently. I think the state has it right.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby sself » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:59 am

TomKat wrote:
sself wrote:It would not be worth sacrificing regular season days, to me, anyway.

X 2 Teal and woodies look and fly diffrently. I think the state has it right.

Judging by the marsh i was in saturday, a lot of people haven't figured this one out yet. Heard quite a bit of shooting when the woodies were out. :no:
sself
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 am

EcatMagoo wrote:Would love to add woodies to teal sason but not at the expense of loosing days later.

ditto...though according to an article I recently read in Gun Dog magazine, wood ducks aren't that common west of the Mississippi River. I wonder where that writer got his information.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Wood Duck Season

Postby DanJeffandJack » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:07 am

I was just curious how people saw the issue. I think both sides have pros and cons. Teal season can be so hit or miss and opening up woodies would at least give you something to shoot at on slow years. That being said, not sure I want to sacrifice days on the back end.

I'm undecided. Somebody persuade me one way or the other....
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:14 am

jensenja wrote:I was just curious how people saw the issue. I think both sides have pros and cons. Teal season can be so hit or miss and opening up woodies would at least give you something to shoot at on slow years. That being said, not sure I want to sacrifice days on the back end.

I'm undecided. Somebody persuade me one way or the other....

Thats why we have dove season to fall back on
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 am

I never go out for teal season, so adding wood ducks to it doesn't matter to me, so I'm also undecided. Never shot a woodie though, so that might be a little persuasion for me.
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 am

A buddy from Topeka was with a group that shot 9 woodies on opening day of regular season last year. I personally dont want to miss out on that kind of action during the regular season (before the mallards get here) so I vote for leaving things just the way they are.

When teals are really good, you dont have time to be thinking about woodies.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby soot87 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:39 pm

I don't think sacrificing days of big duck season would be worth it either. I didn't know you would need to do that to comply with federal regs. That said shootermedic and I were out this morning and could have easily shot a limit of wood ducks and only saw two green wing teal who had no interest in our spread and no blue wings. So much for this being the year of the Blue Winged Teal. I've only had one flock decoy and have only harvested two birds. And I have been hunting the river so there's plenty of water. Maybe the BWT dont care for the river as much. Anyway that's my two cents.
Bang Bang, Splash Splash
soot87
hunter

Postby shootermedic816 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm

I concur with Soot87... definitely not worth sacrificing days off of big duck season! Even though we only had those 2 Green Wings fly over us it was great to get out today and get back into the swing of things! Big duck season can't get here fast enough!!!
-Jonathan
AKA ShooterMedic816
shootermedic816
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting