Seasons Almost here!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Seasons Almost here!

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 pm

How about it boys? Anyone else making a trip out west to hunt the opener? This will be my first year to go. I know you locals hate us jerkoff out of zoners coming in to hunt your ground, but were coming anyway. The only consolation I can offer is a hunting partner if you decide to come over and hunt the SEK handicapped zone.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Seasons Almost here!

Postby Mallyard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:35 am

I wish you luck! Not much of nothing around here, water or birds. :no:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby river rats » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 am

Yes its gettin close. Im going up to jamestown the second weekend. Hate missing the opener but still got 24 treestands to get trimmed up and new straps on. Next weekendend is going to be devoted to getting ready for my november deer hunters. As for around here we actually have some decent water. Got lucky with a 4 inch rain that filled some of the farm ponds to the pipes.
river rats
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:43 am

Lets see those picturesT Man!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:23 am

No trips yet to hunt the opener. I should be deer hunting with my brother this coming weekend. Hopefully will put a couple does in the freezer.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:33 am

Its been a mad dash to get ready. We rigged 6 dozen dekes Saturday night, getting the fullbodies and layout blinds ready as well. We dont know what kind of conditions were going to run into, so were taking everything we can to be prepared. This will be my first time out to hunt a certain WMA out west. The state says there are a lot of birds out there, but I think its gonna be tough hunting.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby duckdozer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 am

there isnt that many birds on that wma i was there 2 weeks ago and the number online was the same, there was more teal hunters than there were ducks. NO WATER!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Horrible reports from that certain wma, no one should go.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Honestly.... All that was said above is correct.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:11 pm

I went scouting on Saturday and it's looking pretty dismal. The only marsh I found with water, I know, will be full of people.
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Took my son to that WMA Sunday for the youth season. There isnt enough water to go around for all the hunters that will be there this coming weekend. I received an invite to hunt there for the opener, but Im not even going to bother and its barely over 1hr drive for me.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:48 pm

DeathCommander wrote:Horrible reports from that certain wma, no one should go.

Especially out of staters
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby DeathCommander » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 am

I’m paying my out of state money which is helping your F & W department out so its a win win!!... in all reality though I think it will be incredibly crowded and we are going to try to find a spot away from the rumble. Dont know if this will be possible or not T Man
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:45 am

Its not looking good. I have never wished for a tropical storm, but that is what it will take to break us out of this drought. Got some serious basement issues developing. Praying for rain. Good news is my cousin offered me his climber should we get no rain and I need some deer hunting to fill my time.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Heading west on Sat morning to hunt Sun and Mon. Last year was great....this year, who knows? One thing certain, you won't find any staying home.
radfordc
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:12 pm

radfordc wrote:Heading west on Sat morning to hunt Sun and Mon. Last year was great....this year, who knows? One thing certain, you won't find any staying home.

Amen brother
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

You definitely won't find me out there opening weekend, its liable to be dangerous. This year is nothing like last year, we've had a record drought here and its way worse out there. There are only 5 pools with water on this certain area and 3 of the 5 are refuge. If they are gonna have the crowds they'll most likely have they may have to take measures to keep it from being a complete cluster. I would hate to drive 5 hours and be turned away like I heard they did at a wma down south on the teal opener. We still have our trip planned for the 21st but have our hands on the cancel button to save vacation time. Good luck to you all that are going I just hope you come back with both of you eyeballs.
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Not worth it to me to stand shoulder to shoulder with all the jackasses. I kill a boatload of birds every year. For some reason its becoming not about quantity of hunting but quality. All hunting in a crowd will get me is an elevated blood pressure.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Especially when you have idiots from out of state crowding in on your public ground, they think cus they bought an out of state permit that they are entitled to the whole marsh regardless of when they show up.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby sself » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:43 pm

duckdozer wrote:Especially when you have idiots from out of state crowding in on your public ground, they think cus they bought an out of state permit that they are entitled to the whole marsh regardless of when they show up.

Drop a deuce outside their truck door.
sself
hunter

Postby KC_Bandhunters » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 pm

well fellas it could be worse....you could not be hunting at all! Any day spent out in the field is WAY better than sittin in class or sittin in the office. Try fishin at bennett springs MO, you stand shoulder to shoulder with the next angler, barely any room to cast, but fish are still caught and people still have a good time. Now that is not exactly the same situation as a solid duck hunt but its the same idea. Relax, the birds will come, they will have to stop and refuel somewhere even if its for as short period of time, and its your job to find em. or continue to be negative...its all about the perspective you take.
KC_Bandhunters
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Headin' out west to talk to my farmers about pheasant hunting, good get away trip. Way less stressful than hunting the WMA on opening weekend.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby river rats » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:42 am

Im with KC. 80 percent of my hunts are on public ground and if you try hard enough you can get away from the crowds. Even if there are other hunters around im still going to have a good time and hopefully knock a duck down in front of my dog.... then watch her retrieve her first duck. Even if most of the WMAs are dried up there is still plenty of lakes that offer good hunting if the work is put in.
river rats
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 am

But on that certain WMA there isnt any way to get away from anybody there with no water everyone knows where you are. If I am thinking correctly there are only 2 pools that will have water that arent refuge during big duck season.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:45 am

Yep only 2 hunting pools have water in them. Another problem is the water in one of those pools is low so there is a lot of grass and weeds sticking up above the water that are so thick there is no way to put out decoys that can be seen. I am itching to get out and shoot ducks as much as the next guy, but going there for the opener is not something I am going to try.
sarjrr
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting