open water hunting

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

open water hunting

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:32 am

Any of you guys ever tried hunting the reseviors in a layout for ducks and geese. Once it gets cold and the marshes freeze up there are a lot of lakes that hold phenominal numbers of ducks and geese. Just curious if anyone hunts them in the open water from a layout?
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Re: open water hunting

Postby titleistpro2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Don't shoot the roosts, man. Keep our birds here. When it's really cold they want to be eating most of the day anyways, so find some dry fields.

Don't shoot the roosts.
titleistpro2
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 pm

titleistpro2 wrote:Don't shoot the roosts, man. Keep our birds here. When it's really cold they want to be eating most of the day anyways, so find some dry fields.

Don't shoot the roosts.

Wow, he must be hunting either a really small lake or all the birds in the central flyway are roosting on that lake. They don't roost the whole lake. If that were true you couldn't hunt Cheyenne Bottoms or Quiverra.

To answer the question, YES you can. I would get a boat that could handle the rougher waters and even at that don't chance the bad weather. Otherwise you will loose birds. Hunting the big water can be great. Especially if you like a mix bag. You can get everything from mallards to canvas backs. But beware the water is deep and if your dog is relentless chasing birds it can end bad.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby sarjrr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Not a good idea to shoot the roost, but I dotn know how you would be able to do that anyway. If marshed are frozen then all reservoirs i am familiar with will be frozen too except for a big hole out in the middle. Not sure how you would get a layout out to that hole in the first place. You would be better off hunting fields or finding a nearby stretch of river that isnt frozen.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:14 pm

titleistpro2 wrote:Don't shoot the roosts, man. Keep our birds here. When it's really cold they want to be eating most of the day anyways, so find some dry fields.

Don't shoot the roosts.

I am not talking about shooting the roosts. These lakes are not little county lakes. Most of the time the roosts are in refuge areas a long way off. I am as hardcore as the next guy about not busting the roosts. Just because you hunt open water does not mean you are burning a roost. So my question. is everyone that hunts a marsh (cheyenne bottoms, quiveria, jamestown, etc.), pond, lake, or mud puddle shooting the roost? I have come to a conclusion that apparently people don't know what a roost is. I am planning on hunting open water in the general flight path, which is a loooooooooooooong ways from any roosting areas. It seams like anytime someone mentions hunting over water everyone assumes they are hunting a roost spot. I wander if anyone on here has ever heard the term "running traffic". Yes you can do it on water too!! I am not a dumbass. I have been hunting waterfowl for many years. I know what a roost is, and I know that you are better off not to hunt it, or be hunting in an area that may disturb it. I was just trying to get replies from those that are skilled enough waterfowlers to be able to traffic birds over water without busting a roost hole.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:23 pm

sarjrr wrote:Not a good idea to shoot the roost, but I dotn know how you would be able to do that anyway. If marshed are fr80ozen then all reservoirs i am familiar with will be frozen too except for a big hole out in the middle. Not sure how you would get a layout out to that hole in the first place. You would be better off hunting fields or finding a nearby stretch of river that isnt frozen.

Most of the lakes I am familiar with are 30-60 feet deep in areas, and most of the marshes I am familiar with are 12-16 inches deep. The marshes always lock up before the lakes do. At least where I hunt at. Obviously in late january most all the lakes are frozen except where the birds are keeping it open (then it becomes a roost which i don't hunt). I am talking more along the lines of the early freezes that lock up shallow water hunting areas.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Big lake+small boat sounds like a recipe for disaster to me especially in winter. Remember, in the middle of the lake there is a lot more wind than around the edges. Please be safe before you start chasing birds.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 pm

T Man wrote:Big lake+small boat sounds like a recipe for disaster to me especially in winter. Remember, in the middle of the lake there is a lot more wind than around the edges. Please be safe before you start chasing birds.

Yeah that is my biggest concern. Thats why I am asking around. I was just curious if someone here in Kansas has done it. I know they hunt out of layouts in the great lakes so I would imagine it can be done here in Kansas. My biggest concern would be if the wind came up when we were out there. If a guy was going to do it he would definately need to keep a close watch on the weather.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Definitely dont wear your waders, those will just be an anchor if something does go awry. It can be done we plan on doing it sometime this yr if we get some divers in our area but we will not be looking to head out if it is supposed to blow crazy. Never go out alone when you are on big water either always have a buddy and let ppl know where you are.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 am

duckdozer wrote:Definitely dont wear your waders, those will just be an anchor if something does go awry. It can be done we plan on doing it sometime this yr if we get some divers in our area but we will not be looking to head out if it is supposed to blow crazy. Never go out alone when you are on big water either always have a buddy and let ppl know where you are.

Actually neos will provide you with bouyancy (sp) if that is what you are wearing, especially if a wader belt is in use. They will make it difficult to swim however.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby takem7 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:18 pm

I wander if anyone on here has ever heard the term "running traffic". Yes you can do it on water too!! I am not a dumbass. I have been hunting waterfowl for many years. I know what a roost is, and I know that you are better off not to hunt it, or be hunting in an area that may disturb it. I was just trying to get replies from those that are skilled enough waterfowlers to be able to traffic birds over water without busting a roost hole.[/quote]

Gotta love running traffic on water!!!! We have a pond that is between 7 and 1 acres that birds often fly direcly over to get a feed, and it has been some of the best hunting you could ask for! As far as doing it out of a layout boat never done it but i bet it would be a blast!
when in doubt empty the magazine
takem7
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting