Federal Migratory Stamp Increase

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Postby ksfowler25 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Thought i would start this by asking how everyone felt about DU asking congress to raise the price of the Federal Migratory Stamp to $ 24.26 or more. If you have not read this article KDWP has in on their main hunting page http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Huntin ... -FOR-DUCKS . DU is also asking all waterfowl hunter to buy two stamps this year to show congress that we support an increase in prise. Just wanted to get some opinions on this subject from fellow hunters.
Thanks, ksfowler25
Cocoas' Chocolate Gander
ksfowler25
hunter

Re: Federal Migratory Stamp Increase

Postby TomKat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 pm

I think the timeing is poor. We are all broke, the economy sucks. DU raised the price of our banquet this year, too. :mad: :mad: :mad:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:57 pm

I may come in on the unpopular side of this one but I am all for it . If it will continue to help preserve and enhance Water-fowling in the North America I am behind it 100%. As I understand it the stamp price has never been raised since it`s inception. Inflation has eroded it`s buying power appreciably and we need to step up monetarily for the pastime we love and are so addicted to . I fully understand that times are bad out there and I empathise with those who are suffering , but, OUR ducks need Our help and I don`t see anyone else out there who is willing to step up. After-all they are asking for less than the price of a movie ticket .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:11 pm

I am all for it too. I'd like to see it go to $30
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:59 pm

I am for it as well, I am also for the OOS duck stamp going up to $100.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby river rats » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:24 pm

sounds like a great idea to me. I wouldnt have any objection to paying more in this case.
river rats
hunter

Postby flynfold » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 am

I am good with it. I have always felt duck hunting is a privilege not a right. I would pay 100.00 if I had too what's good for the ducks is good for hunters
flynfold
hunter

Postby bpgast » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:02 am

An extra 9 bucks and change per year, count me in if it will help the ducks (I would pay more). But if it is used to pay some federal employees retirement and healthcare, THEY CAN TAKE THAT 9 BUCKS AND PUT IT WEAR THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE!

I would like to see an actual break down of where that money goes, not where it's supposed to go.

I believe private groups such as DU and Delta will use that money more effectively over any goverment run outfit.

Just my 2 cents!
bpgast
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:37 pm

I already pay close to 100 more bucks to hunt MO. So to me whats 5-10 more bucks to add on to my total cost to hunt KS and MO. I am for it.
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
Retrieves for 2014-15 Season: 13
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby rmh » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Same dumb crap comments, different day.

The Duck Stamp price has been raised several times over the years, most recently in 1992.

The proceeds from it go here:

http://birding.about.com/od/birdconserv ... stamps.htm

Note the per cent that goes towards habitat. I imagine some USFWS employees get part of the remainder in their pension.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 pm

rmh wrote:Same dumb crap comments, different day.
The Duck Stamp price has been raised several times over the years, most recently in 1992.
I imagine some USFWS employees get part of the remainder in their pension.

Thank you RMH for coming all the way to the Kansas to enlighten us with your dumb ass comments as well. I am sure the members of your forum are enjoying the break from your caustic commentary. I do apologise to my fellow Kansas forum members as I was in error regarding the pricing increases of the Federal Duck Stamp . I should have done my own research as should rmh. Here is how the price increases came about since that first duck stamp act in 1934.

The first Duck Stamps went on sale August 14, 1934, at $1 each. The $2 issue became available on September 1, 1949; the $3 stamps went on sale July 1, 1959; the $5 issue went on sale July 1, 1972; the $7.50 issue went on sale July 1, 1979; the $10.00 issue went on sale July 1, 1987; the $12.50 issue went on sale July 1, 1989, and the $15.00 issue went on sale July 1, 1991.

As we can all see it has been 20 yrs. since the last increase (July 1991) Where does the money go ? The allocation percentages have changed many times since 1934 dependent upon the sitting Congress to determine what percentage of the money goes where.

But lets get back to the " dumb crap comments "
rmh said; "I imagine some USFWS employees get part of the remainder in their pension"

I could care less . I hope employees of the USFWS are well paid and have good pensions . I wish all Americans willing to work received those same benefits .
None of this banter changes anything the ducks still need our help/money. So I am in.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:58 am

But do they really? This season has been the largest duck hatch EVER.

Understand, John O'Neil, that I am a committe member and donate lots of time to my local Chapter.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby bpgast » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 am

After re-reading the article, I found this...

Federal Duck Stamps are a vital tool for wetland conservation. Ninety-eight) cents out of every dollar generated by the sales of Federal Duck Stamps goes directly to purchase or lease wetland habitat for protection in the National Wildlife Refuge System.

That is acceptable to me. Sorry for the quick snap reaction, just not much trust in the government at this time! Remember the great job the Corps of Engineers did with the flooding this summer. Not saying the USFWS is the same as the Corps but in the same building (figuratively).

In short, I think we are all alike in the fact that we love the sport of waterfowling. Times are tough for many of us out there, and we want to make sure the hard earned money we spend is going to the right place and for the biggest benefit of our sport.
bpgast
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:06 pm

TomKat wrote:But do they really? This season has been the largest duck hatch EVER.

Understand, John O'Neil, that I am a committe member and donate lots of time to my local Chapter.

Tomcat ; I applaud your efforts with your local chapter on behalf of the ducks and I respect your position in this matter. We are not at odds on this issue . I am basing my support upon the facts presented by DU in a recent appeal to waterfowlers for their backing in petitioning Congress for a raise in the price of the duck stamp. DU has presented statistics showing that it will take an almost $10 increase just to keep pace with inflation . That raise, in itself, will not even come close to keeping pace with the towering cost increases in land acquisition, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.
The Mission Statement for the Duck Stamp act of 1934 was " To provide funds for the conservation of migratory waterfowl " . That goal has not changed but it takes a continuing flow of dollars to keep the dream alive .
We are about to embrace one of the largest migrations of ducks in recent memory thanks to the efforts made long ago by Duck Stamp Act 1934 and the formation of DU in 1937. I feel that it is imperative that we continue to fund these worthy endeavors.

For those who might have missed it I reprinted DU`s appeal below. Have a great day.

This effort is part of a larger campaign currently being led by DU to increase the price of the stamp. Since 1934, the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, commonly known as the federal duck stamp, has added more than 5.3 million acres of waterfowl habitat to the National Wildlife Refuge System. The program is a highly efficient way for waterfowl hunters to invest in the future of their sport by conserving habitat; 98 cents out of every dollar is spent to acquire land and protect waterfowl habitat. Additionally, acquiring land under the National Wildlife Refuge System not only expands habitat protection but also expands hunting opportunities and access.

While the federal duck stamp has proved a valuable conservation tool, its buying power has not kept pace with inflation. The cost of the stamp has not increased since 1991 — 20 years — marking the longest period in the program's history without a price increase. Simply put, $15 is not what it used to be. Based on the Consumer Price Index, the stamp would need to cost $24.26 today to have the same buying power that $15 had in 1991. The total buying power of the duck stamp has decreased by 64 percent since 1991.

In 1991, revenue from the duck stamp enabled the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to acquire 89,000 acres of habitat for the National Wildlife Refuge System at an average cost of $306 per acre. In 2010, the USFWS was able to acquire only 32,000 acres because land values had tripled to an average of $1,091 per acre.

Ducks Unlimited supports efforts to ensure that the investment waterfowl hunters have made to protect waterfowl habitat over the last 77 years is sustained. And it is up to duck hunters and all who enjoy wetlands and waterfowl to continue the conservation legacy of the federal duck stamp. For these reasons, Ducks Unlimited supports legislation that would immediately increase the price of the stamp from $15 to $25, which would allow the program's revenues to keep pace with inflation.

"Increasing the price of the duck stamp will take an act of Congress," DU Chief Conservation Officer Paul Schmidt said. "To get Congress to act, waterfowl hunters must show their elected officials that their constituents care about conservation issues. The increased sales that will occur when hunters ‘double up' on duck stamps will help conserve more habitat and also show Congress that hunters are serious about this issue."
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:34 pm

I would gladly pay $10 for a duck stamp. It might mean that I wouldn't eat at McDees a couple more times, but I'm sure I could miss a fast food meal or two.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby DanJeffandJack » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm against it. I'm always trying to introduce my buddies to grow the sport and the license is always a tough sell. It'll be even harder with a higher price.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:01 am

Its a tough thing for me to ask the questions as I do believe in the DU mission. Is there a point where DU (or the NRA, or the federal government) would ever say "Mission acomplished! We dont need any more money".

Like I said, I am not totally against it, I just think it might be easyer to swallow after the election when the economy is recovered.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:55 pm

jensenja wrote:I'm against it. I'm always trying to introduce my buddies to grow the sport and the license is always a tough sell. It'll be even harder with a higher price.

less competition for me :thumbsup:

But in all seriousness i do get your point. I still think it would be for the better if it was raised.

You can always wager with your friends that if you buy their stamp, you will guarantee they will get addicted. Then they can spot ya back. :wink:
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
Retrieves for 2014-15 Season: 13
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 pm

If paying twice as much to hunt will guarantee half as many hunters I'm in! I know that's selfish...bad me. But, if the half that doesn't buy a stamp are the "slobs" we all see in the marsh it would definitely be a good thing.
radfordc
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting