Wichita area Geese??

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Wichita area Geese??

Postby CUTemDOWN » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:34 pm

Hey, KS hunters. I'm in the USAF and currently stationed in UT. There's alot of ducks out here but not to many geese. I'm originally from S. IL. and to me ducks are OK but shootin honkers is better. I'm thinking of putting in for an assignment at Wichita. My question is are there alot of birds around that part of KS and if so is there places to hunt. My dad used to live in the SE part of KS and put the hammer down on ducks and geese. I wouldn't think Wichita area would be much different than were he was. Any replies would be great.
CUTemDOWN
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:21 am

I know some guys that hunt down there alot, they seem to say there's alot of geese, but they never shoot too many. I don't know, maybe they just can't shoot. but about 30 miles from witchita newton... they have alot of birds... both ducks and geese. all private but if you can get permission it can produce some good shootin. goodluck, and if you ever wanna hunt let me know.. what do you run as far as decoys? That can make a big difference when hunting in witchita... Atleast that's what Ive heard.

/\/\allyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby doane25 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:29 pm

this was my first year hunting around wichita and it was a pretty good year. the only problem is that there is alot of hunters and not very much land. the land owners around here are not very fond of letting just anybody hunt. these birds see at least 4 decoy spreads a day which makes things 10 times tougher. pm me if you want all the details and such.
doane25
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting