Cheyenne Bottoms

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Cheyenne Bottoms

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 pm

How is the water levels at Cheyenne Bottoms? Hows the hunting been?
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Re: Cheyenne Bottoms

Postby radfordc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:47 pm

radfordc
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 pm

yea i got that, it was also updated 4 days ago, and i was looking for a lil more of a hunters perspective........thanks though
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 pm

It doesn't matter you'll miss everything and I'll clean it up for you anyways. Plus as long as there's bacon and eggs in the boat It doesn't matter how they fly. See you in a couple days.
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:25 pm

hey cyoung, just fyi bc im not sure if you city boys know it or not, but duck hunting is not buying a loaf of bread and feeding ur banded city ducks and geese while wearing camo at the city park......just saying lol
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 am

Water gets lower everyday and the hunting is crowded with the same or more folks than normal trying to crowd in on 30% of the usual water. Have fun.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 am

I love cheyenne bottoms because it is like a magnet for hunters that would other wise be in my way.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby WF1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 am

Like has been said, the water levels continue to drop. I have a kayak and have gotten stuck several times out there, so that will give you an idea.

Its very crowded and the hunting has been very "meh." Prepare yourself to be incredibly frustrated bc everytime a group begins to work you a shot will be fired (more than likely teenagers sky busting coots, at least thats been my experience) and will flare them.

Oh, and good luck competing with the 20,000 coots that are out there. :fingerhead:
WF1
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am

SimplyPerfectNelli wrote:hey cyoung, just fyi bc im not sure if you city boys know it or not, but duck hunting is not buying a loaf of bread and feeding ur banded city ducks and geese while wearing camo at the city park......just saying lol

You and Dave taught me how to call 'em in with a loaf of bread. I thought about using bread this weekend but nelli would probably pick it up before the ducks could. :lol3:
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm sure I'll be out there sometime this fall.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Lots of new birds moving in today .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby AUDuckSlayer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I am glad to see the weather finally changing.... If we could only get some substantial rain!
AUDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:22 pm

thats great news, cant wait to shoot a few birds, a greenhead would be a bonus!
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:15 am

I've been out there nearly every day since the Early Teal season opened. From what I saw Monday and yesterday morning, there are no new birds in, most of the teal have bugged out, and after you pick up two easy pintail you'll have a tough time filling out your six-bird limit. We were out from 5:30AM yesterday and it was 1:30 when we finally picked up our 12th bird....tough, tough, tough, AND GETTING TOUGHER EACH DAY. Can't believe the number of hunting parties out there on the weekdays.
My advice: go early in the morning, plan to stay late. The birds there have become decoy-shy, blind-shy, Mojo-shy, boat-shy...heck, they even flair from flocks of live birds!
Not enough open water to keep the hunters spread out, and it shows.

Heck, we only saw (one group of) three shovelers (and two groups of 5 gadwall each)!! Where are all the birds??
PS I hear ya' on the Hoisington kids burning up shells on coots..... :lol3:
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Watched a FINE fella WACK a nice speck today! Hope this fella scouts the forums, I give my congratulations on the bird. And as I drove by it looked like you recieved a nice ticket to boot.

Oh, Welcome to Kansas BTW. :thumbsup:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mallyard » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 pm

And im with mudpack.... not many birds showing up. I was surprised. Everything is very decoy shy. If you like watching the undersides of spoonbills all day with the occasional coot swimming by, by all means load up and head west... :yes:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:55 pm

mudpack wrote:I've been out there nearly every day since the Early Teal season opened. From what I saw Monday and yesterday morning, there are no new birds in, most of the teal have bugged out, and after you pick up two easy pintail you'll have a tough time filling out your six-bird limit. We were out from 5:30AM yesterday and it was 1:30 when we finally picked up our 12th bird....tough, tough, tough, AND GETTING TOUGHER EACH DAY. Can't believe the number of hunting parties out there on the weekdays.

Mudpack ; Sorry your hunting hasn't gone well. I have three hunting buddies that arrived at Cheyenne Bottoms Sat. They scouted that afternoon and hunted Sun. Mon. and Tues. All three have layout boats and were able to access the backside of the marsh where they say they the found birds. They sent numerous texts, including picture texts, during their three day hunt. I will list a brief summary of their communications

Sat Afternoon ; Not much water plenty of duckies Cans ,Redheads,Teal , even saw a cinnamon teal.

Sunday; It is really kick ass here. Dad and I limited .Josh can`t hit a barn. 16 ducks .

Monday; Tons of new birds here from last night. Lots of geese showing up strong north wind.They worked us great .Had to choose our shots a lot more carefully. Forgot the shells when we left the truck this morning . Dad and I limited with one box combined.

Tues . 8:15 am I am already limited 1 drake pinny ,a Widgeon 1 Scaup 1 Gw Teal and a Gaddy

They sent two diff pics via cellphone of the ducks they had taken.

They obviously had a great three day hunt at the Bottoms, and plan to return when the Mallards start arriving.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Well gentelman, I tell ya what I have never known a early cool front like this to not bring in some new birds, I have spoken with a few Game warderns out that way and they both said there are plenty of new birds. I am by no means calling you liars, bc maybe your trips havent been the best success but after sitting deployed to afghanistan for the last year I am headed out west to shoot ducks and if the ducks dont cooperate i guess we will have good comradry and kill a few beers when we get back to the hotel room. Thanks for the information though.
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Mr. O'neal,
Thank you very much for being an hones man. Its guys like you that obviously still hunt for pleasure instead of trying to make hunting a competetion. I enjoyed your report and really hope that my story comes out similiar with the exception of forgetting the shells in the truck. Happy hunting to you Sir and thank you again.
Ricky
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 pm

John O`Neal wrote:Mudpack ; Sorry your hunting hasn't gone well.

No need to feel sorry for me, John: I've limited out every day I've hunted (and I've hunted 6 days since Oct 11)...and I get great satisfaction from "tough" hunts.
Just saying the crowding and lack of new birds has made it imperative that you work for your birds. While we have seen the new geese coming in from the north the last two days, we have not seen the large, high flocks of ducks dropping in from the north that signal an influx of new ducks. Maybe tomorrow? I only know what my own eyes tell me. :wink:
By the way, you might tell your friend that the limit in Kansas is six birds.

Oh, and one other thing: a guy who has been out on the Bottoms for only 48 hours probably can't tell new birds from birds that have been trading between Pool 4B and the Nature Conservancy every other day for the last two weeks. It takes being out there (hunting or watching) every day since the season started.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 pm

mudpack wrote:No need to feel sorry for me, John: I've limited out every day I've hunted (and I've hunted 6 days since Oct 11)

By the way, you might tell your friend that the limit in Kansas is six birds.

Oh, and one other thing: a guy who has been out on the Bottoms for only 48 hours probably can't tell new birds from birds that have been trading between Pool 4B and the Nature Conservancy every other day for the last two weeks.

Mud pack ; Congratulations on your hunting success, you obviously know your stuff . It could very possibly be that the guys were seeing birds trading in from the conservancy . I have seen that happen myself . I once saw a couple guys with Texas tags stick up their spinner in the conservancy and start popping greenies. They must have thought they had found the glory hole with all those Mallards in there and no other hunters . They were having a serious conversation with the warden in the middle of the road the last time I saw them . I am sure they took a little memento of their Kansas trip back to Texas with them.
As for the six bird limit . I have often questioned the math competency of the two younger boys, especially when we are on the golf course, but I have confidence in their dads ability to count . There were three hunters at six birds each . They were safely within the limit. Being in the right place at the right time is a key ingredient for any successful hunt and maybe the boys just got lucky.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:01 am

John O`Neal wrote: I have confidence in their dads ability to count . There were three hunters at six birds each .

Check the Tuesday report:
John O`Neal wrote:Tues . 8:15 am I am already limited 1 drake pinny ,a Widgeon 1 Scaup 1 Gw Teal and a Gaddy

No wonder he beats you on the golf course. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:43 am

I heard someone dumped a Speck yesterday, and got busted for it. IDIOTS!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:06 am

Check the Tuesday report:
John O`Neal wrote:Tues . 8:15 am I am already limited 1 drake pinny ,a Wigeon 1 Scaup 1 Gw Teal and a Gaddy

No wonder he beats you on the golf course. :biggrin:[/quote]

:fingerhead: You got me ; I incorrectly transposed the text . It should have read. " I am already limited ,1 drake,1 pinny,a Wigeon,1 Scaup, 1 GW Teal, and a Gaddy.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:11 am

Here is a cell phone picture taken Mon. Oct 17th 2011 at the Bottoms .

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting