Cheyenne Bottoms

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: Cheyenne Bottoms

Postby txborn&raised » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Been pretty successful the days I've been out minus the torrential down pour that hit on opening day...shot 12 last Sunday by 8:30 between two people
Call 'em and Crush 'em !
txborn&raised
Newb

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 pm

After a phenomenal hunt yesterday, I went out this morning, stayed until 11:30....and never fired a shot. Had some birds at 50 yards or so, but none that wanted in the decoys (except two GW teal). Bluebird day for sure, but the main problem is educated birds that have seen everything and no new birds to take up the slack.
Gonna' be a dismal weekend unless some new ducks arrive tonight......and it doesn't look like that will happen.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Mud, what shells do you fire through that 20 gauge?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Ha, ha! I very seldom take (or have to take) shots over 40 yards. No need for it, and we like to have committed birds, feet-down.
Up until this morning, I/we filled our limits with in-the-decoys birds. Not so today.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:27 pm

mudpack wrote:Ha, ha! I very seldom take (or have to take) shots over 40 yards. No need for it, and we like to have committed birds, feet-down.
Up until this morning, I/we filled our limits with in-the-decoys birds. Not so today.....

He hE! NO, seriouisly, dont you hunt with a 20 gauge?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:05 am

TomKat wrote:NO, seriouisly, dont you hunt with a 20 gauge?

Just for dove.
Only a 12 for waterfowl.
mudpack
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Well for the hunting being terrible and the pools being over croweded we did pretty well, so far we shot two four man limits and havent had anyone hunting with 500 yards of us yet....thanks for the informationg though
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby Gooseman77 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm

SimplyPerfectNelli wrote:Well for the hunting being terrible and the pools being over croweded we did pretty well, so far we shot two four man limits and havent had anyone hunting with 500 yards of us yet....thanks for the informationg though

:no: :no: man with your back against the wall you still pulled it out, you must be one awesome hunter. Please teach me your ways, starts with internet scouting then turning around rubbing it in everyone's face when you do good, whats step 3 posting pictures so everyone can see your greatness?
Gooseman77
Newb

Postby rmb79 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:26 pm

SimplyPerfectNelli wrote:Well for the hunting being terrible and the pools being over croweded we did pretty well, so far we shot two four man limits and havent had anyone hunting with 500 yards of us yet....thanks for the informationg though

you shooting those 48 ducks feet down or skybusting? I'm gonna call bs on this one. With the weekend crowd, there are not many spots in 3b and 4b where you can be 1/4 mile away from everyone.

good luck to you though.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Gooseman77 wrote:

:no: :no: man with your back against the wall you still pulled it out, you must be one awesome hunter. Please teach me your ways, starts with internet scouting then turning around rubbing it in everyone's face when you do good, whats step 3 posting pictures so everyone can see your greatness?

Wow, starting out as a douche bag with your first post, and then saying he was internet scouting. Class act Gooseman
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Gooseman77 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:21 pm

T Man wrote:
Gooseman77 wrote:

Wow, starting out as a douche bag with your first post, and then saying he was internet scouting. Class act Gooseman

"How is the water levels at Cheyenne Bottoms? Hows the hunting been?" Im not exactly sure where that doesn't classify as internet scouting? I had no problem with the asking for information, it was the basically rubbing it in everyones face that I saw a problem with. Just calling it like I see it T bag
Gooseman77
Newb

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Gooseman77 wrote:"How is the water levels at Cheyenne Bottoms? Hows the hunting been?" Im not exactly sure where that doesn't classify as internet scouting? I had no problem with the asking for information, it was the basically rubbing it in everyones face that I saw a problem with. Just calling it like I see it T bag

Asking questions that have answers already been posted by the state isnt exactly internet scouting. Now if he asked which pools to hunt and where at in those it would have been a different story.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:35 pm

rmb79 wrote:

you shooting those 48 ducks feet down or skybusting? I'm gonna call bs on this one. With the weekend crowd, there are not many spots in 3b and 4b where you can be 1/4 mile away from everyone.

good luck to you though.

Geez, just because a lot of people had a rough time and we did well must mean we were skybusting or lying. It couldn't be the fact that we were one of the first couple boats in, went as far in as we could, had a massive spread, adjusted the spread for the bluebird day, rigged the mojos to move water, made a jerk cord or stayed out almost all day. The next time I go out to a public marsh and somebody does better than I do I'm gonna call bs and accuse them of skybusting, give me a break. He probably went about it the wrong way in saying it but we did well. The other groups may not have been 500 yds away but they were very far away, I was extremely surprised. Gooseman, I haven't been on the site long either but a big part of the site is sharing successful hunts. If your gonna blast everyone that says they did well or post pics of a good hunt, your typing fingers are gonna get really tired. And here's the pic you asked for.
Attachments
IMG00257-20111022-1550.jpg
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby SimplyPerfectNelli » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 am

Well not all the birds were feet down in the spread but all the shots were reasonable shots at reasona le birds, def not skyblasting, and you think im talkin mad trash but truth is i recieved alot of pms saying the hunting was pretty good all week and conditiona had been great, and every hunter i spoke to out there agreed its been great, so there for my opinion is ppl were bashing the place and the hunting conditions to deter ppl away so theres less ppl in their marsh, kinda immature in my opinion, and how can u co.sider hunting bad when ur shooting limits
SimplyPerfectNelli
hunter

Postby WF1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Mass exodus of birds from the Bottoms in the past week. Went this a.m. and did ok, but I didn't even see 1k birds flying, let alone the 20-30k they're reporting.

Did not hear a whole lot of shooting, especially for that place, so at least I wasn't the only one who struggled. First shot wasn't fired till almost 40 min after LST.

The specks are there by the thousands though, but, gotta go chase em to the fields they're using. Only 1 flew over the hunting pools.
WF1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:26 am

rmb79 wrote: I'm gonna call bs on this one. With the weekend crowd, there are not many spots in 3b and 4b where you can be 1/4 mile away from everyone. good luck to you though.

Have to agree. Maybe his 500 yards is the same as "that was a 40-yard bird" when someone empties his gun on a greenhead that is 80 yards up and 30 yards out?
No place in 3B or 4B on a weekend that has no one within 500 yards is any direction and you could shoot birds, unless he was on the south dike of 4B.

Maybe he was in Pool 5? :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:33 am

WF1 wrote:Mass exodus of birds from the Bottoms in the past week. Went this a.m. and did ok, but I didn't even see 1k birds flying, let alone the 20-30k they're reporting. Did not hear a whole lot of shooting, especially for that place, so at least I wasn't the only one who struggled. First shot wasn't fired till almost 40 min after LST. The specks are there by the thousands though, but, gotta go chase em to the fields they're using. Only 1 flew over the hunting pools.

There are at least 20K ducks on the Bottoms, WF. Problem is, they are all content to loaf on Pool 1 all day. Ever notice all the birds talking it up back in Pools 3B and 4B before shoot time? And how they start getting up and heading to Pool 1 about 10 minutes before shoot time? (I see a significant number of birds heading for the Nature Conservancy, also.)
The dumb ones are all gone by now and the ones left are educated. We were out yesterday, too, and there was shooting about 6 minutes after shoot time (which, in itself, is unusual, since the shooting normally starts about six minutes BEFORE shoot time....)
We struggled, too; three hunters, six birds, picked up at 12:15.

No, the birds haven't left the Bottoms, they just aren't going into 3B or 4B during shooting hours. And the new ones have not arrived yet.....
Last edited by mudpack on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby WF1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:12 am

I didn't take the time to drive past the refuge, so there probably are still plenty of ducks. Most of everything I saw was headed straight toward the refuge though. I was tucked away clear back and probably didn't see half the ducks get up from the other pools, but even so I usually at least see plenty of ducks (even if they don't care to even look at me), thats why it was surprising how few I saw flying.
WF1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:14 pm

WF1 wrote:I..didn't see half the ducks get up from the other pools,

Pools? ...there is only one "other pool". :sad:
You are correct on the number of birds flying around; about 1% of what there was the first week. They wise up quickly or die.

I decided to sleep in this morning. After four straight days of getting up at 3AM, my old body had had enough. :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

mudpack wrote:
rmb79 wrote: I'm gonna call bs on this one. With the weekend crowd, there are not many spots in 3b and 4b where you can be 1/4 mile away from everyone. good luck to you though.

Have to agree. Maybe his 500 yards is the same as "that was a 40-yard bird" when someone empties his gun on a greenhead that is 80 yards up and 30 yards out?
No place in 3B or 4B on a weekend that has no one within 500 yards is any direction and you could shoot birds, unless he was on the south dike of 4B.

Maybe he was in Pool 5? :lol3:

I don't get it, what does saying someone was a long ways from us do for us that you have to make the effort to make a post to call bs. We know what pool we were in and 2 days in a row someone motored up to us and left when we shined our light and props to them for moving along way away. We worked hard and got lucky and were able to shoot a good amount of birds. What happened to an atta boy or good job for doing well. Now its we didn't do good and somebody else did so they must be lying because if we didn't shoot a limit there's no way they could of, so let's call bs and make up excuses. We did crappy on sunday does that make you feel better.
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:16 pm

this weekend should be a nice one for you guys locally at CB because the rest of the state minus SE Zone opens up and should relieve some pressure off the OOC'rs. Next weekend will be even better with the whole state open.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby WF1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:27 pm

mudpack wrote:
WF1 wrote:I..didn't see half the ducks get up from the other pools,

Pools? ...there is only one "other pool". :sad:
You are correct on the number of birds flying around; about 1% of what there was the first week. They wise up quickly or die.

I decided to sleep in this morning. After four straight days of getting up at 3AM, my old body had had enough. :lol3:

Well, from where I was hunting and the sun being as bright as it was I couldn't see very far to the East and couldn't see much get up off of 3b. You'll have to forgive me, the "pools" at CB seem like mass expanses compared to what I've hunted the past few years (MDC out east). All the pools combined at MDC probably don't make up the hunting area of 1 unit at CB :lol3: There wasn't another group for a loong ways away from me, it was a wonderful thing. Wish the birds woulda cooperated.
WF1
hunter

Previous

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting