This drought sucks. Cheney is looking rough.

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

This drought sucks. Cheney is looking rough.

Postby JMac202 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Went out to Cheney to do some scouting and assess the situation of the water levels. Well it's LOW. Most the spots I hunt are anywhere from 100 to up to 300 yards from water with no cover around them. To top it off didn't see crap for ducks out there. Saw some Specks and a few Canadas. Saw maybe 10-12 ducks but they were in the refuge. Spent sun up until noon. Tons of seagulls though.

All the pics I posted are me standing where the water line was last year. It's pretty bad.

Wasnt even over my boot soles here.

The boat ramp on the river isn't even usable. Its about 8' feet across and 8" deep.
JMac202
hunter

Re: This drought sucks. Cheney is looking rough.

Postby JMac202 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:34 pm

JMac202
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Redmond looks the same or worse, and its expected to lose another 20% by mid november.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:26 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Redmond looks the same or worse, and its expected to lose another 20% by mid november.

Was going to say the same thing.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Went up to where I hunt on the Kansas river it was really low.My dad said it was the lowest he has seen it in 20+ years. :no: Where we hunted last year is now an oxbow may shoot some teal in it.Other parts are huntable but to have the best chance as always you need a boat and a dog.We have a dog but she doesn't retrieve or swim. :sad:
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Going to be sad when the ppl from KC, Wichita and Topeka come our way to hunt we are 6 ft low and cant pump. We have no refuge or anything for th ebird to feel safe in. going to be sad here especially if the Citidiots come in PLEASE STAY HOME THERE ARE NO BIRDS AND EVEN LESS WATER!
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby cbass12 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:Redmond looks the same or worse, and its expected to lose another 20% by mid november.

Very disappointing
cbass12
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Wow, that is just sad. Went out to scout my spots around Lawrence recently and same thing. No water anywhere.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby AUDuckSlayer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:04 am

I went out and did a little scouting myself this weekend only to find out that what you read in the KDWP reports may not be true. They clame there is water where there is no water.... On the bright side I did find some ducks on a private lake I hunt.
AUDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:29 am

That is because the more hunters they get to hunt the area the more money they get. Thats why they like to way overestimate duck numbers as well.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 am

duckdozer wrote:Going to be sad when the ppl from KC, Wichita and Topeka come our way to hunt we are 6 ft low and cant pump. We have no refuge or anything for th ebird to feel safe in. going to be sad here especially if the Citidiots come in PLEASE STAY HOME THERE ARE NO BIRDS AND EVEN LESS WATER!

You don't have to worry about me. The places I hunt have water but will be full of the KC folk. I think I'm gonna shell out the cash and hunt the in-law's ponds in Mo. I'll sacrafice a few ducks for a stress free quiet hunt.
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:That is because the more hunters they get to hunt the area the more money they get. Thats why they like to way overestimate duck numbers as well.

I have only found this to be true on at a couple of places in the state. Marion being the worst example. I've actually found the duck numbers to be grossly understated at several places on a consistent basis.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby matte » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:36 am

pretty discouraging.... council grove's federal lake is really low also, pretty well screws up the flooded timber thats on the north end of the lake.
matte
hunter

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:19 pm

No water-only one pool full, and it'll be full of people- where me and dad hunt. More than likely we'll be shooting more geese this year. With a week left till the season, we would need a massive amount of rain to do anything to help.
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:35 pm

went out and found some water today, not enough and there were 0 ducks there, I talked to the area manager and they said that there were ducks on it this am. Well they pushed out because I walked every bit of ground that was flooded and didnt kick one bird up. Our plans include eating breakfast in the blind hoping to scratch a few ducks or coots on the other public stuff I found. Good luck everyone. More than likely we will just be eating breakfast because there are only about 10 ducks where I found them.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Postby river rats » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 pm

All this negative talk is bringin me down. Went to a public area last weekend that was loaded with water.... plenty of ducks. suprisingly there was only 4 groups of hunters. I was very impressed. There is areas with water boys just might have to put some miles on the trucks.
river rats
hunter

Postby AUDuckSlayer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 am

I hate to be negative, but its the truth. I sure am kicking myself for selling my duck boat, because I sure could use it this year.
AUDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Consider yourself lucky river rats. I have been scouting all around the Lawrence/Topeka area while my dad has been scouting all over the Southeast/Southcentral area of Kansas with little luck. I won't get to hunt until Thanksgiving and Christmas break for the most part anyway, but it's not looking good early on. I'll keep my hopes up and give it a go but this is the worst I have seen it since I have been hunting in Kansas.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting