Now why do I hunt public land again???

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Now why do I hunt public land again???

Postby dukhntr » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Geez, this had to be the worst opener ever for us. We killed 2 birds. The only ones we shot at. My dad and his buddy camped out all night to hold down the spot that we found holding birds. Not many birds, but birds notheless. I was very appreciative of that.

So, at 4 am a group of 2 guys come and set up directly in front of us at less then 80 yards. Some other guys walk by and start setting up about 80 yards behind us at 650 am. Then another group around 7am across. This last group was far enough away,but they started shooting 10 minutes early, and we saw them shoot at a cormorant (sp?).

The group that was behind us was consistently shooting at ducks that were 100+ yards in the air. Birds that I would usually not even waste time trying to call. It was pretty rediculous. So, I had to ask myself, why do I still hunt openeing day on public land?????? Hope you all had a better opener then us....
dukhntr
State Moderator

Re: Now why do I hunt public land again???

Postby sself » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I was asking myself that too, but the answer is, it's my only option :no:
sself
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:39 pm

dukhntr wrote:So, I had to ask myself, why do I still hunt openeing day on public land??????

Good question.
This season was the first in decades that I haven't hunted on the opener. Y'know what....I didn't miss a thing. I've hunted almost every day since and don't feel a bit sorry that I missed the first two days.

I may never hunt another opener.
mudpack
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Lots of people at the marsh this morning! We were able to find a spot 200 yards from the closest party. Ended up with 3 woodies & 2 teal.
radfordc
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting